2. Names Topics
AyushYadav What is smart power
Yash Kale Origin of smart power
Hiren Parmar Feature & Merits and demerits
Jaini Chavan Global perspective &Worldwide examples
Nitesh kumar Sharma Comparison between U.S & China
Dhruvi Kesur Prescriptions for Instituting Strategies of
Komal Rajpurohit Obstacles to Smart Power Optimization
Sarmukh Gamit Conclusion: Optimal Power is the Real
Gautam Shiyani PPT MAKING
Janki Belendar No contribution
3. Empires are easy to rule when they rest on soft
power of attraction as well as hard power of
Power is like calories in diet.
Professor Joseph Nye introduce the term “Smart
Professor Joseph Nye explains ‘smart power’.
Combination of hard and soft power
4. Machiavelli said that “for a Prince is was safer to be
feared than to be loved”.Today Ney argues, it is
better to be both.
Hard power + Soft power = SMART POWER (skillful
combination of both)
It means developing an integrated strategy,
resource based and toolkit to achieve desired
SMART POWER = necessity of strong military
+heavy investment in alliances, partnership and
5. Joseph Nye introduced the term
“smart power” .
In 2004, Suzanne Nossel wrote an
article in foreign affairs trying for the
1st time to theorize ‘smart power’.
Joseph Nye gave a clear definition of
smart power in his book “THE FUTURE
Smart power became core principle of
Obama’s foreign policy.
6. The term “smart power’ emerged is US in past few
years but in use since long years back.
Historically, rising states have used smart power
strategies to good avail.
Emperor Akbar also used smart power.
Otto von Bismark used smart power for Unification
7. Smart power is the combination of hard power and
Three D’s of smart power
Smart power is a rational method
Smart power is center for strategic and
Importance of combination
Also known as “Soft Power 2.0”
8. People are
importance of smart
Combination of two
Smart power is able to
It’s difficult for women
to use smart power in
Smart power works on
It's not much popular
9. Smart power narrative for the 21st century is not about
maximizing power or preserving hegemony.
A smart strategy needs to provide answer to 5 very
1. What goals or outcomes are preferred?
2. What resources are available and in which context?
3. What are the positions and preferences of the targets of
4. Which form of power behavior are most likely to succeed?
5. What is probability of success?
These 5 questions are very important to make a smart
strategy globally or what smart power is literally
10. “Very often people explain what’s occurring in the US
and China relationship as ‘decline of US and the rise of
But according to JOSEPH S. NYE, Jr. it is not the case.
Misleading concept of “DECLINE”.
Lifecycle of a country.
USA 4th most competitive economy in the world and
china on 27th number(according to world economic forum) . Similarly in
China getting closer to U.S
“the China not going to pass the US in the next few
decades” says Joseph.
11. Switzerland : combination of mandatory
military, and attraction through banking,
commercial and cultural networks.
Saudi Arabia: allowance of territory for
American military headquarters.
Saudi Arabia’s support to Al Jazeera.
China: china’s investment in soft power
under guidance of president Hu Jintao.
12. Even under the acknowledgement that smart power can
promote the optimization of national influence and
security, harnessing the benefits of Smart power.
Strategies as follows:
1. Theories of power must be continually questioned and
power audits continually undertaken with significant
sensitivity to the changing face of power in world
2. Decision-makers must consider the manifold
consequences of power-enhancing strategies.
3. Decision-makers must think in terms of net rather than
4. Decision-makers must judge power based on
outcomes rather than resources.
13. Strategy 1: It is will prove difficult to realize
because they are inconsistent with common
tendencies of human psychology and
Strategy 2:The cognitive costs of dealing
with complexity are normally very high.
Strategy 3&4: It will also prove to be quite
challenging for decision makers