O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Zaragoza, 27-28 April 2017
Are we able to detect new technologies
systematically and timely?
Spanish emerging technologies network.
Methodological advances and work plan.
E. Baños, S. Luengo, A. Llanos, C. Juárez, L Varela, JM. Ruiz-Olano
I. Prieto, T. Molina, I. Gutiérrez-Ibarluzea, G. Benguria-Arrate, J. Asua
AETS, AETSA, AVALIA-T, OSTEBA
PUBLIC HEALTH CONFERENCE
10th anniversary of the Spanish Network of Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Agencies:
Insights for collaborative networking
Towards Patient and public engagement in HTA
• Where we come from?
• What is our way?
• Changes over time
• What can we offer?
• What do we need from the system and from
• Future developments
New or emerging health technologies
• Emerging health technology
A health technology that has not yet been adopted
within the healthcare system. Pharmaceuticals are in
the Phase II or III clinical trial, or pre-launch stage;
medical devices are in the pre-marketing stage.
• New health technology
A health technology that is in the launch, early post-
marketing, or early diffusion stages.
Introduction of new and emerging health
Supliers Health professionals
Politicians Mass-media Pressure groups
John Gabbay and Tom Walley
Introducing new health interventions
BMJ, Jan 2006; 332: 64 - 6
When to evaluate?….When to inform?….
Introduced into the
Amount of information
Diffusion control strategies
• Early awareness and alert system
A system that aims to identify, filter and prioritisize
new and emerging health technologies, or new uses
of existing interventions; to assess or predict their
impact on health, health services and/or society; and
to disseminate information.
• Horizon scanning
The systematic identification of health technologies
that are new, emerging or becoming obsolete and
that have the potential to effect health, health
services and/or society.
• Regulation for the introduction
• Rational use of the technology
IMPACTO DE LOS SISTEMAS DE IDENTIFICACIÓN-EVALUACIÓN DE TECNOLOGÍAS
SANITARIAS NUEVAS Y EMERGENTES EN LA DIFUSIÓN-INTRODUCCIÓN DE DICHAS
• I Gutiérrez-Ibarluzea1, S. Luengo2, R. Villegas3. L. Varela4,
• T. Cerdá4, J Asua1, N Egües-Olazabal1.
• 1 Osteba. Osasun Teknologien Ebaluazioa. Osasun Saila. Eusko Jaurlaritza.
• 2 AETS-Carlos III, Madrid 3 AETSA-Sevilla, Andalucía 4Avalia-T Santiago de Compostela. Galicia.
Where we come from?......Opportunity
• Common working time
– Experienced systems
– Incipient systems
– Not regulated established
• Coordinated project between
some health technology
assessment agencies of regional
Ministries of Health
“We are what we do, day by
day. So excellence is not an
act, its a habit”.
Objectives of the survey 2006
• To know the situation of the identification and evaluation of
new and emerging technologies systems in the NHS
• To evaluate the current impact of its recommendations on the
dissemination of some health technologies
• To establish the basis for a network of information on new
and emerging health technologies in the NHS
Methodology (survey 2006)
• Direct contact with the Spanish HTA
organizations that have EWS / questionnaire
description of those systems
• Analysis of its influence on the diffusion
Identification-assessment systems in the
National Health System – 2006-
Conclusions (survey 2006)
• Different systems, methodology and similar action
• 3 EuroScan members (AETS, AETSA and Osteba)
• High degree of agreement on the recommendations issued
• Early Assessment Systems (EAS) modify the diffusion ratios of
the technologies studied in health coverage contexts
• Difficulties in obtaining data
– Higher or lower by the degree of influence of close contexts without
New challenges…in 2006
• To improve identification methodology
• To be more proactive with experts
• To increase information sources
• To increase the number of experts involved
• To expand the survey to other centers with information-
regulation systems in the NHS
• To extend the experience to other communities with HTA
• To create an stable network that adequately and timely
reports to the NHS
What is our way…?
• To update the GENTecS Group's Early
Detection Strategy for New and
Emerging Health Technologies in
order to adapt it to current needs
• Autonomous entities and the General
Directorate of Basic Service Portfolio
of the MoH and Cohesion Fund of the
Ministry of Health, Social Policies and
Equality, and the Autonomous
Communities, through the
Performance, Insurance and
Financing Commission, under the
Interterritorial Council of the Spanish
• Development of a functional and
operational working model in
collaboration with the Gerneral
directorate of Basic Services Portfolio
of the NHS and Cohesion Fund of the
Ministry of Health, Social Policies and
• Translation and adaptation of the
methodological tool created by
• Adaptation of the PriTec prioritization
tool for use in the prioritization of
new and emerging health
Things that have changed
• Interlocution with the NHS
• Influence on the portfolio of
• Presence in different
• Improvement and
What can we offer?
• A common database of new and
emerging health technologies.
• Facilitate the more efficient and
exhaustive identification of
technologies for the subsequent
prioritization by the corresponding
autonomous systems and by the
Service Portfolio Directorate of the
• Staff strategy
• Continuous evaluation and
improvement of the identification-
What have we done already?
• We continue working in a
coordinated and joint manner
• We have generated a list of
new and emerging
technologies in 2016 with 63
• Attractive formats for
visualization and prioritization
of the information about
What do we need from our system and from
• For what?
• What? Needs
• Which one first?
• When? Time
• What? Information
• How? Method
• Stakeholder engagement
• Test different methodologies
– Elaboration of
• Evaluate the efficiency of the
system and its impact
• Find new partners and
Gaizka Benguria Arrate
Basque Office for Health Technology
Basque Health Department
Alda Rekalde 39A - Bilbao