Mozilla Service Week?
• Between Sept 14-21, 2009, the Mozilla
Community will take action to make a
difference in our communities, our world, our
• Connecting tech-savvy volunteers with
individuals and public-beneﬁt organizations
with technology needs
• Global in scope; goal of 5,000 volunteers
dedicating 25,000 hours of service
Mission & Goals
• “We believe the Internet should
make everyone’s life better.”
• MozService09 will incite
technology-related action that
will help people:
– use the Web
– have access to the Web
– and, a better Web experience overall
Who can we help?
• NGOs and NPOs
• Schools, libraries, community
• Local support groups
How we can help?
• Promote, promote, promote!
– Sign up for an opportunity
– Create your own
– Follow our lead
– Participate in OneWebDay
First Things First
• Register (https://mozillaservice.org/
• Pledge hours
• Share your story, ideas or plans
Promote: Social Media
• Change your proﬁle pic
• Donate your status
• Like & comment on the Mozilla Firefox posts
• Share your plans
• Join our Facebook Event: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=ken
Create your own
A little inspiration....
• Tim Hogan and The Royal Order design ﬁrm are helping
the Tutor/Mentor Connection in Chicago rearchitect and
redesign their current site.
• William Reynolds of the University of Virginia is going to
teach his student council how to use social media to better
communicate with students.
• William D. of the UK is creating a guide on how the
Internet can beneﬁt people of different age groups,
different career paths and different levels of technical
• Teach senior citizens how to use the Web.
• Show a non-proﬁt how to use social networking to grow
its base of supporters.
• Install a wireless network at a school.
• Create Web how-to materials for a library’s computer
• Refurbish hardware for a local computer center.
• Help a non-proﬁt update its website or database.
• Set up a help desk at cyber cafe or coffee shop.
Take our lead
Service Week Action Templates
• If you’re short on time or inspiration for
how to help out during Service Week,
Mozilla Foundation is creating easy-to-use
• These are simple actions and activities that
make the web better for everyone
Quick, easy, effective
Internet Health Check Template
• The Internet Health Check is the ﬁrst of these templates
and has already launched on Mozilla.org
• Why Internet Health?
• You can do a check for a not-for-proﬁt, school,
community group, friends, family... anyone you know who
may still be using the web in a way that’s dangerous to the
health of their computer and the health of the web
1. Get hip to the 21st century: Update to a modern browser and
stop using IE6
2. Safe can be fun: Update plugins like Flash, Java and
3. Set it on autopilot: Set up browsers and plugins for auto-
updates where possible
4. Teach them to ﬁsh: Do some education around the
importance of browser and plugin updates
Repeat as needed
• There are templates and resources available for performing
Internet Health Checks for Windows, Mac and Linux
• If you’re performing an Internet Health Check for an
organization, be sure to check with their IT department
before starting. If you can’t upgrade, let us know when
you’re reporting on your pledged hours.
Lots of ways to help
• A printable Internet Health checklist that volunteers can
take with them to Service Week volunteering events will
soon be added to the template
• Further templates will be launching weekly. Topics include:
digital marketing, digital marketing tools and data
If you have an idea or a template of your own, contact Chelsea to
have it added to the collection (email@example.com)
Make it eventful
• Contact an organization or NPO to see
how you can help
• Organize a group effort
– an evening
– lunch hour
– weekend day
• Promote on SFx and elsewhere
Earth Day for the Web
• September 22, 2009
• Focus: Digital Inclusion
• Tap into local service events...and
Challenge your friends
• The Web is a wonderful thing...
• Have fun helping people and
organizations use something you love!
• The Moz Community is capable of
incredible feats - let’s rock this!
Notas do Editor
MSW is a Global Mozilla Project, open to all participants around the world. We are also looking to have our landing site available in up to 10 languages. Using our guiding principles as inspiration we chose a Motivating dictum - which all could follow and get behind in as little or as many ways, at various levels - that the &#x2018; Internet should make everyone&#x2019;s life better&#x2019;.
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.