Department of the Interior’s Methodology for Business Transformation (MBT)
1. Diane Reeves Department Business Architect Department of the Interior Session Title: DOI Methodology for Business Architecture (MBT)
7. Process is at the center! Metric Component Indicator Workflow Pattern Data Entity Function Information Flow Context Protocol Application Business Process System Performance Security Technology Data Service Organization Business Reference Model Technology Reference Model Security Profile Performance Reference Model Data Reference Model Service Component Reference Model
8. Enhancing the efficiency of business processes. Stages of Process Maturity Innovative Predictive Standardized Managed Initial Proactive closure of gaps versus strategic objectives Capability quantified, results predictable Common processes and measures Local stability from repeatable procedures Overloaded roles
10. Structured Planning: Strategic to Tactical Vision Mission Goals Mission End Outcome Goals Intermediate Outcome Goals Plan Implementation Plan Development DOI Program Project Inputs Project Outputs Project Outputs Project Outputs Project Inputs Project Inputs
16. Enterprise Improvement has a business management perspective. Strategy Process People Allows the organization to achieve business performance objectives by focusing on excellence in carrying out the process. Three major components of delivering Enterprise Improvement
18. Context for Enterprise Improvement Enterprise Improvement has a business management perspective. Management Direction Enterprise Business Strategy Enterprise Process Improvement Enterprise Investment Portfolio Enterprise Modernization Initiative informs Supported by Shared capabilities and assets Incremental business transformation Is carried out in
19. Key components: Enhancing the efficiency of business processes. Process Center of Excellence Process Evaluations and Consultation Enterprise Improvement Map Performance Management, Program Management, Collaboration, Standards, Support Tools and Training Process Consulting, Process Evaluations, Process Improvement, Process Measurement Segment Business Strategy, Segment Portfolio Management,
21. DOI EA has established three major components that drive its success with enterprise architecture Encapsulates all aspects of business and requirements for modernization, delivering a roadmap to total transformation – the Modernization Blueprint. Methodology for Business Transformation DOI Governance Structure DEAR DOI Enterprise Architecture Repository Provides centralized access and management of all DOI artifacts, analysis, and information about business functions enterprise-wide. Facilitates decision-making, compliance and enforcement of EA policy and standards to ensure consistency across all DOI technology activities.
24. Step 1: This step is focused on getting the study underway through good project management.
25. Step 2: Analyze stakeholders & drivers and set the target business strategy
27. Step 2: This step is focused on determining the strategy of the business area and its products and services
28. Step 3: Analyze the business and define the target business environment
29. Step 3: This step is focused on analyzing the current processes and determining opportunities for re-engineering.
30. Step 4: Analyze the IT and develop the target conceptual solution architecture
32. Step 4: This step is focused on analyzing current systems and technologies and defining the target state.