7. A lucky day? Katy is a typical student and today she had an extraordinary day. First of all she got up so early because she had an appointment with her dentist, but while she was getting ready for it, her friend Carmen called her and asked her to pick her up in her car because hers wasn’t working good. She was leaving her apartment when suddenly a guy threw some ice cream and stained her new dress. Then she was driving so carefully when suddenly she ran over a little cat. She felt terrible for that. Later in the dentist office, while she was waiting her turn she met the assistant for her favorite actor Tom Welling! Wow, everthing was better now. At her school while she was typing some notes , when she got an e-mail from her language teacher whit news from her scholarship to France. Finally when she was leaving school , she found $50.00 in the street. A bad or good day? What do you think?
9. Past Continuous vs Simple Past The past continuous is often used with the simple past. Both actions happened at the same time, but one action (past continuous) started earlier and was in progress when the other action (the simple past) happened. Example: I was eating when the phone rang The phone rang when I was eating When and while are often interchangeable when referring to a point or a period of time. I was waiting in line, while started to rain It started to rain while I was waiting in line.
12. Put the following sentences into the correct tense , Simple Past or Past Continuous . 1. George (fall)_____________ off the ladder while he _________________ (paint) the ceiling. 2. While Tom ___________________ (cook) the dinner, the phone __________________(ring). 3. Ann ____________________(wait) for me at home when I ____________________(arrive) yesterday. 4. Tim __________________ (take) a photograph of me while I________________ (not /look). 5. What ______________________ (you/do) at this time yesterday' 6. I _____________(see) Carol at the party. She _____________ (wear) a really beautiful dress. 7. I _________________(break) a plate last night. I _________________ (do) the washing up. 8. ________________(you/watch) television when I _____________________(arrive)? 9. Last night I _____________________(read) in bed when suddenly I______________ (hear) a scream. 10. We ___________________(not/go) out because it _______________________ (rain). 11. We ___________________ (do) our homework while our mum ___________________(cook) dinner. 12. I ______________________(see) Jim in the park. He _________________(sit) on the grass and _____________________(read) a book.
15. What have you been do ing lately? Have you been study ing in these days? Have you been chek ing the website from the CAADI recently? Has anybody been work ing out theses weeks?
18. Let’s practice! What have you been do ing recently? Well, I have been studying a lot for the exams. Have you been working in the CAADI? No, I haven’t been working . I have been practicing voleyball. Have you been working in the CAADI? No, I haven’t been working . I have been practicing voleyball. Where have you been living the last ten years? I have been living in the U.S.A. I got an excellent job there. What has your teacher been doing lately? I don’t know, I think he has been working a lot in the high school.