20. “ I try to dispel the image that Muslims and Arabs suffer from - mostly by our own doing I have to say - in the rest of the world. I am no missionary and don’t want to be. I run several internet websites that are geared to do just that, create a better understanding that we’re not all nuts hell-bent on world destruction.”
26. The New Media Ecosystem Source: Morgan Stanley October 2004 report: “Update from the Digital World” by Mary Meeker et. al.
35. Info Supply & Demand 2.0 Then... High cost of production Scarcity of space, airtime, etc. Now... Low cost of production Scarcity of attention
36. A portrait of global media attention: (Data from Google News, July 2006) Countries in red have more stories Countries in blue have fewer (Courtesy Ethan Zuckerman at: http://h2odev.law.harvard.edu/ezuckerman/ )
37. 127 million people 2nd largest world economy 12582 CNN.com stories 130 million people 54th largest world economy 937 CNN stories (Data courtesy Ethan Zuckerman http://ethanzuckerman.com /)
57. What does this mean for journalism students? My email: [email_address] Blog: http://rconversation.blogs.com Global Voices: http://www.globalvoicesonline.org JMSC: http://jmsc.hku.hk New Media Workshop: http://jmsc.hku.hk/blogs/newmedia “Hong Kong Stories” http://jmsc.hku.hk/hkstories Credits: Many thanks to Ethan Zuckerman, Isaac Mao, and others for ideas and materials . This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/