The First Synod and the Consecrations of 1935

111 visualizações

Publicada em

Publicada em: Educação
0 comentários
0 gostaram
Estatísticas
Notas
  • Seja o primeiro a comentar

  • Seja a primeira pessoa a gostar disto

Sem downloads
Visualizações
Visualizações totais
111
No SlideShare
0
A partir de incorporações
0
Número de incorporações
1
Ações
Compartilhamentos
0
Downloads
1
Comentários
0
Gostaram
0
Incorporações 0
Nenhuma incorporação

Nenhuma nota no slide

The First Synod and the Consecrations of 1935

  1. 1. The First Synod and the Consecrations of 1935      In 1935, two hierarchs of the Orthodox Church of Greece (Metropolitan  Germanus  Mavromatis  of  Demetrias  and  Metropolitan  Chrysostom  Demetriou  of  Zacynthus)  and  one  retired  hierarch  of  the  Ecumenical  Patriarchate  (Metropolitan  Chrysostom  Kavourides  of  Florina)  joined  the  Sacred  Struggle  and  assumed  the  leadership  of  the  Old  Calendarists  of  Greece. Germanus of Demetrias became the President of the Holy Synod and  the Locum Tenens of the Metropolis of Athens. This act was most canonical  because  the  innovative  “Archbishop”  Chrysostom  Papadopoulos  of  Athens  had  illegally  usurped  the  Archdiocesan  throne  in  1923,  whereas  the  lawful  Archbishop was Theocletus Menopoulos (+1931).        Assisted by the Metropolitans Chrysostom of Florina and Chrysostom  of  Zacynthus,  Metropolitan  Germanus  of  Demetrias,  as  the  canonical  and  lawful  President  of  the  Synod,  performed,  in  Keratea  of  Attica,  the  consecrations of four new bishops. Those consecrated were Bishop Germanus  Varykopoulos of the Cyclades, Bishop Christopher Chatzis of Megaris, Bishop  Polycarp  Liosis  of  Diaulia,  and  Bishop  Matthew  Karpathakis  of  Bresthena.  The first three Metropolitans and the abovementioned newly‐ordained four  Bishops constituted the first re‐establishment of the canonical Holy Synod of  the  Orthodox  Church  of  Greece  since  the  time  of  Archbishop  Theocletus  Menopoulos of Athens, who had been dismissed in 1923 and reposed in 1931. 

×