O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Edmundo Tovar - Analysis of existing research and best practices
OpenCourseWare in the European HE context Analysis of existing research and best practices Edmundo Tovar (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid), Igor Lesko (OpenCourseWare Consortium), Eva Sancho (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid) Email address(es): firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 1
Introduction• The aim was to identify successful practices for implementation and use of OCW/OER in HE and to investigate how OCW/OER could facilitate student virtual mobility. Not to provide a thorough analysis of the use of OCW/OER around the world but to highlight important lessons learned from the studied initiatives. The research was carried as part of the Project on “OpenCourseWare in the European Higher Education Context: how to make use of its full potential for virtual mobility”.• A survey has been done by leaders of OER initiatives from all around the world. Responses to the survey were received from 31 Higher Education Institutions and organizations from 14 different countries. Majority of respondents (81%) defined initiatives at their Institutions as OpenCourseWare (OCW) with the remaining 19% contextualizing their projects within the broader spectrum of Open Educational Resources (OER). with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 2
Results with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 3
Results The use of OCW/OER in Teaching and Learning Target group Frecuency % Frecuency % To achieve professional 7 22% qualifications Learners 25 80% To obtain official degrees 4 12% Faculty members 14 45% To support teaching 25 80% Organizational Leaders 26 83% To increase physical mobility 2 6% To increase virtual mobility 6 19% Profesionals 9 29% To simply provide open materials 24 75% Other 24 77% Other 7 22% Characteristics of Means of evaluating or certifying published OCW/OER learning processes via OCW/OER Frecuency % Frecuency % Texts 31 100% Degrees 8 25% Slides 24 77% Diplomas 3 9% Audio materials 18 58% Certificates 6 19% Video materials 26 83% Test 7 22% Exercises 22 70% Exams 10 32% Rubrics 4 12% Other 6 19% Other 11 35% with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 4
FactorsFactors enabling OCW/OER initiatives Factors inhibiting OCW/OER Initiatives• Institutional support • Lack of institutional supportAn institution supports open sharing in • Negative attitudes from facultyeducation through: • Copyright-related challenges-Actively encouraging participation in theproduction and sharing of OCW/OER amongst • Lack of information about institutional benefitsfaculty members related to OCW/OER projects-Implementing open content or open accesspolicies • Difficulties with finding appropriate and quality-Providing resources (financial and staff) to OCW/OER (when attempting to reuse materialsassist faculty members in the production of produced elsewhere)OCW/OER-Providing incentives to faculty members toengage in the production and sharing ofOCW/OER• Positive attitudes from faculty members with the support of the Lifelong Learning opencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 5
Benefits of OCW/OER Initiatives for the involved Institutions • The content used by educators, professionals, and individual users. • Allows to work in a business model. • It increases the quality of education. • OCW has become the KPI of the university. • Medium for sharing information among a community of institutions. • Increased visibility of the university. • Increased visibility of teachers and materials. • Collaboration with other universities. • Teacher recognition (awards). • Attracting new students. • To provide to the society the knowledge generated in the university. • Contribution to national development. • Provide users with materials - free of charge. • Medium to share materials among teachers. • OER integrated into the objectives of the academic or research organizations, scholarships, etc… with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 6
Uses of OCW/OER: mindmap with the support of the Lifelong Learningopencourseware.eu Programme of the European Union 7