is a deliberate process of
knowing WHO you are so that you can
be sure of WHERE you want to go or
WHAT you want to be at some
defined point in the future.
FIVE STEPS OF CAREER
1st Step: Self-Assessment
2nd Step: Explore Work/Career Options
3rd Step: Narrow Down List of
4th Step: Decide or Choose the Best Option
5th Step: Set a Career Goal
Knowing and understanding of self
better to know if you are in the right
job/career or you want to go to
Where to explore
Look at opportunities within your
organization and its subsidiaries
Look at career opportunities in
other organizations and in other
Look at entrepreneurial and self-
Look at jobs/careers of people
you know of those you read about
Narrow Down List
of Work/Career Options
List down three to five
career options that is
match with your interest,
personality, needs, values
and skills, on one hand and
the opportunities and
limitations, on the other.
5 Career Options Sample
1. Field engineer or IT Specialist
2. Pursue graduate
3. School instructor
4. Hardware business owner
5. Company Manager
Kinds of Career Paths
– requires a life long commitment
to one career and is characterized
by a steady improvement in
knowledge and skills.
Decide or Choose
the Best Option
This step will let you choose
the best from among the
list of 3-5 options.
– Description of your ideal job
– Personal Mission Statement
– Job Requirements or
Set a Career Goal
This process will
give you focus
and it will
motivate you to
will keep you from
What makes a goal good?
Barriers to Goals and Plan
Self-imposed or psychological barriers
• Negative self-image
• Negative attitude (bitterness,
selfishness, rebellion, crab mentality
• Negative emotions (anxieties or fears)
• Victim mentality (feeling of
• Intrapersonal conflicts (torn
between two or more values)
• Personality traits (indecisiveness,
• Habits (procrastination, cramming)
• Negative thought against other
people (biases and prejudice)
1. Keep an ongoing file of all your
2. Be prepared for any contingency by
maintaining an updated resume.
3. Sharpen your communication skills.
4. Build a network.
5. Become indispensable or close to it.
6. Remember that professional education
and self-development are never-ending.
7. Prepare for an alternative career.
8. Work on being pleasant and courteous.
The purpose of life, after
all, is to live it, to taste
experience to the
utmost, to reach out
eagerly and without fear
for newer and richer