O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Using social media in your job search: Basic and advanced tactics
You’re not a social media newbie. You tweet people, you post on Facebook, and you finally have a LinkedIn profile. Hey, maybe you even pin and tumble. What’s next? This presentation aims to give practical tips on how to use social media platforms to enhance your personal branding, find valuable job leads, and ultimately land your next gig.
Why social media? 98% of recruiters are on social media #SFUB2B 97% used LinkedIn 51% used Facebook 49% used Twitter Source: Techvibes.com mployers use social media sites to learn the truth about job E seekers 74% checked LinkedIn 23% checked Facebook 3% checkedTwitter. Source: Truth Dive citing a Nuage Software study #SFUB2B
SOCIAL MEDIA ny online tool that allows users to share content (links, a photos, etc) and directly interact w/ each otherNetworking sites Microblogs Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Tumblr InstagramQA sites Blogs Quora WordPress Forums Blogger
THE BASICS:Establish your online brand. Use consistent, appropriate user names when opening accounts. Use your real name. Fill out your profile and use a professional photo. #SFUB2B
THE BASICS:Establish your online brand. Share relevant, interesting and unique content (with the right keywords). Control your brand; think before you tweet. #SFUB2B
1. Follow potential employers. ollow your ‘target’ companies and add them F to a dedicated Twitter list or Facebook “Interest List” lso, follow key people (e.g. HR managers, A potential bosses, etc. ) and add them to private lists #SFUB2B
2. Find job leads and other professionals on Hootsuite. se Hootsuite’s geo-location search to monitor U tweets about new job openings xamples of keywords to monitor: “hiring”, E “hiring marketing”, “looking for” and “#jobs”. onitor conversations about industry and join M the discussion when appropriate. #SFUB2B
5. Find relevant people to connect with on LinkedIn. se the “Connections” tab to find people who can U help you in your job search — e.g. professionals in the same industry from your alumni. lick “Add connections” to find professionals you C already know. LWAYS customize your message when sending A an invite to connect on LinkedIn. #SFUB2B
6. Gain more insights by following LinkedIn company pages. heck out a company’s LinkedIn page to get infor- C mation about their company, products/services they offer, and key people (e.g. HR Manager) Click “Careers” to find potential people to connect with or leads for informational interviews. #SFUB2B
8. reate a Slideshare C presentation of your best work. ollect your best work and present them as a C presentation on Slideshare. ou can also upload presentations from school or Y extra curricular projects. #SFUB2B
9. Use Pinterest to create a visual portfolio. reate a board with your best work, resumé, etc. C on’t just pin items; provide context by adding a D short description. his is also a good way to remember your top T accomplishments from previous projects. #SFUB2B
10. Blog or guest blog. riting blog posts shows that you are an expert — W someone they’d want to hire. f you can’t manage your own blog, consider I approaching established blogs for guest post opportunities. FU examples: OLC (Career Services + Volunteer S Services,), Recultured Vancouver examples: Vancity Buzz, Hello Vancity #SFUB2B
SUMMARYUse social media to: Find the right people and expand your network earn more about organizations you would like to L work for nhance what potential employers see when they E Google your name Continue to learn about your industry and passions #SFUB2B
BONUS TIPS! Offer a hand and be helpful. ocial media is a supplement - don’t forget S to network offline. uthenticity counts. Be professional, but be A YOU! Have fun! #SFUB2B