18. MORE PLANT MEDICINES… Plants can be used for hormone replacement This is squawberry juice being extracted Plants can help with urinary infections This is saw palmetto used for cystitis and Prostate problems in men
74. Root hair cells Plant roots are made of “root hair cells” which have a large surface area and a thin cell membrane to help absorb the minerals: Thin cell membrane Large surface area
75. Plant A Plant B Both plants were planted at the same time and left to grow on the same window sill for the same length of time. Why do you think that plant A is so much bigger than plant B?
80. The Three Main Minerals Needed by Plants. A small plant with yellow older leaves. To make proteins Nitrate Symptom if deficient Why its needed Mineral Yellow leaves with dead bits Helps chemicals in the plant work properly. Potassium Poor root growth and purple younger leaves Needed for photosynthesis and respiration Phosphate
103. Plant cells have three “extra” things than animal cells: Both types of cell have these: Only plant cells have these: 4) Cell wall – provides support Large Vacuole – contains sap Chloroplasts – contain chlorophyll 1) 5) 6) 2) 3) Cell Membrane – holds the cell together Cytoplasm - this is where the reactions happen Nucleus – The “brain” of the cell
112. Four things are needed for photosynthesis: Travels up from the roots WATER CARBON DIOXIDE Enters the leaf through small holes on the underneath SUNLIGHT Gives the plant energy CHLOROPHYLL The green stuff where the chemical reactions happen
113. The word and chemical equations for photosynthesis: Carbon dioxide + water glucose + oxygen 6CO 2 + 6H 2 0 C 6 H 12 O 6 + 6O 2 Sunlight Chlorophyll Sunlight Chlorophyll