O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
How Much Is A Mother Worth ?A Uni. of Minnesota study on Motherhood shows ws:Mothers do 17 & more different job functions nctions while raising their children : Teacher, Maid, Driver & Cook, Counsellor, Police officer, Arbitrator & Judge, Banker & Financial manager, Nurse, Doctor & Psychologist, Cheerleader, Night Watchman, Pastor & a FriendCalculated net worth for all services provided : ??? USD$131,000 A YEAR for what they do!** Not counting the value on love and affection that mothers give to their families.
“Laughing with Joy” Gen 18:1-15 18:1- Mother’s Day 2012
5 Interesting facts about Sarah in the BibleWhat is Sarah - “Mother of Nations” (Gen 17:16) famous for in the Bible ?1. ‘Legendary’ beauty at aged 65 and possibly even at 902. Giving birth to Isaac at aged 90 or 913. Died at the age of 127 - only woman in the Bible with this fact recorded4. Most mentioned woman in the Bible (45X)5. First woman to be mentioned in Hebrews great chapter on Faith - Heb 11
Was Sarah the perfect mother ?Was Sarah the perfect wife ?3 Key Lessons we can learn fromthe life of SARAH ....
God’s call to Abram in Ur How was it given ? Promises made But NO reason(s) ...Sarai – his wife dutifullyobeyed & followed ....
Sarai left Ur with his husband Abram ++ for Canaan ...Stopped at Haran – How long ??Her father-in-law, Terah dies ... and only then they moved on ...
At about 65yrs, Sarai left Haran for ‘Canaan - the promised land’Going from “certainty” to “uncertainty”OBEY
Expectation !!FAMINE in ‘the promised land’EVEN IN OBEDIENCE, WE FACE OBSTACLES
Down to Egypt.....A slight problem with Egyptian customs- So...
Sarah’s beauty as expected was noticed...Incident with Pharaoh of Egypt (Gen 12:14..)
Q: Are not God’s chosen people “PERFECT” ?READ 1 Cor 1:26-27GOD CALLS the weak, the foolish, the lowlyDespite Abram & Sarai’s ‘faithlessness’ , lying & deception ....GOD REMAINED FAITHFULREAD 2 Tim 2:13GOD intervened ....
REPEATED AGAIN about 25 yrs later :Abraham 99yrs old, Sarah 89yrs old ...After the covenant given (Gen 15)After the covenant renewed (Gen 17)After the sign of circumcision given (Gen 17)With King Abimelech of Gerar (Gen chp 20)GOD AGAIN INTERVENED to preserve Sarah’s honor ...
God’s CallMay come with PromisesBut most times - no Reasons givenIt’s a JOURNEY OF OBEDIENCEa. What is God’s Call upon your life ? As a mother... ‘Home Minister’ ‘Works Minister’ As a father ... To Serve Him ? What capacity ? To Stay or To Emigrate ? To be Single ?
b. Sarah & Abraham were not perfect None of us are perfect ... faith can falter ... mistakes made ... BUT God uses IMPERFECT, FLAWED PeopleJust Be assured : GOD IS FAITHFUL To intervene ... To protect ... But God will not force ...
What happens when you walk in faithfulness, believing and clinging onto God promise but ....10 years on still no sign of an heir...God’s promise AGAIN in Gen 15:4 “...but a son coming from your own body will be your heir.”
MAYBE God needs a bit of help ....Giving of Hagar to AbramPossible Reasons : ‘Personal anxiety’ ‘Friendly advice’ ‘Cultural practice’ Did not God say ...Gen 16:2 “Abram agreed to what Sarai said.”
Read Gen 16:4-6Hagar get’s pregnantSarai mistreated Hagar;Hagar fled from SaraiWE ALL HAVE FEET OF CLAYGod again intervened ...Hagar then returns to Sarai ...
Birth of IshmaelIshmael became the forefather of the Arab race...What IF’s ?? : Abraham had not gone down to Egypt .... Would there be a Hagar ? Sarah had not given Hagar to Abraham ... Would there be Ishmael & the Arabs ?
God has His timing for everythingGod’s Promises :Salvation of love ones ...Health ...Relationship issues ...Economic & Financial struggles ...Will come thru IN HIS TIMEBased on our Trust, our Faith & our Walk with Him ...
The Bible – God’s WordIs full of His PromisesDo we take time to read itTo know what God has Promised in His Word ?Do we talk to God ?Are we having a Relationship with HIM ?
14 yrs later God againappeared to AbramRead Gen 17:1-8To reconfirm His PromisesGen 17:19 “your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac.”What was Abram’sresponse ??Gen 17:17 – laughed ...“If only Ishmael ....”
Names changed : from Abram : exalted father to Abraham : father of a multitude from Sarai : my princess to Sarah : the princess, princess of a multitudeGiven a sign ....Imagine Abraham cominghome and telling Sarahthe news ...
What God promised, God fulfilledRead Gen 18:1-15Abraham invited three ‘VISITORS’ to restDid Abraham know who they were ??Hospitality shown
Again : Sarah would give birth to a son 1 year later was statedSarah laughed within herself ... Can it be !!Was exposed & rebukedIS ANYTHING TOO HARD FOR THE LORD ?
Gen 21:2 Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him.GOD’S PERFECT TIMINGGen 21:6 Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me."Isaac - LaughterLAUGHING WITH GOD
"I dont want the God of the gaps, the God who only helps me in my crisis, but I want the God who is able to be at the center of town -- the God of my joys -- the God of my fulfillment. Not just the God I call on when everything else fails,Ps DietrichBonhoeffer but the God who comes to the center of my life in my celebration as well."
1. God Sees Through Our Present Faults ...To Our Future Faith both Sarah & Abraham’s faith were tested ... and they came out stronger ...Heb 11:11 ESV : By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised.
2. FAITH IS A JOURNEY, NEVER A DESTINATION Be part of what God is doing Seek after His Will and do His will and you will LAUGH WITH GOD but never ever laugh at God
READ Gen 21:8-14Ishmael mocked IsaacSarah asked Abraham to get rid of Hagar & IshmaelAbraham was troubledGod asked Abraham to listen to his wife At times – there is nothing wrong with husbands listening to their wife
Read 1 Peter 3:3-6 a word for mothers3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewellery and fine clothes.4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in Gods sight.5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands,6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
In Gen 21:12, God says tolisten to your wife ! 1 Pet 3:6 Call me master
THE PROMISE was not only to Sarah and Abraham but was also to us & all the families of the earth.Surprising truths about God’s Promises :Impossible - a 90 year old woman giving birth to her first child !What about a virgin conceive & give birth to a Son.Impossible - Abraham becoming the father of a great nation !How about the Son of God suffering and dying on a cross for the sins of the world.
took 25yrs for God’s promise to Abraham to be fulfilled in the birth of Isaac.took 2,000yrs for God’s promise to Abraham to be fulfilled in the birth of Jesus.But God’s promises are TRUE & SURENo matter how ridiculous they may seem, no matter how long it takes, God always keeps his word.That’s the kind of God we have... We cannot help but to LAUGH, REJOICE & BE THANKFUL
Searching our own hearts .....1. Sarah and Abraham were not perfect – yet God choose to use them Mothers are not perfect, neither are Fathers... All of us ... YET GOD CAN STILL USE US.2. How will I respond when God calls me to step out in faith and follow Him?3. Can I wait on God’s timing in my life?4. Am I able to trust Him for His Promises ?5. Is God’s will being fulfilled in my life at present ?Do I have THE JOY & THE LAUGHTER in Him ?
“Laughing with Joy” God’s Call – ObeyGod’s Promises – TrustGod’s Fulfillment - Joy Blessed Mother’s Day 2012
Josh 24:2 “Long ago your forefathers, including Terahthe father of Abraham and Nahor, lived beyond theRiver and worshiped other gods. But I took yourfather Abraham ...”
Age of Sarah• When God called to leave Haran: Gen 12:4 65• Incident in Egypt with Pharaoh 65• Hagar given to Abram: Gen 16:3 75• When Ishmael was born: Gen 16:16 76• When God changed her name: Gen 17:1 89• Incident with Abimelech, King of Gerar 90• When Isaac was born: Gen 21:5 91
“Laughing with Sarah”1. Obey God because He Knows2. Trust God because He’s Faithful3. Laugh with God because He Loves• Laughing at God – Laughter of unbelief• Laughing with God – Laughter of Joy & Celebration• God’s Call comes with God’s Promise but many times there is no reason or explanation
Proverbs 3:5-65 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Romans 4:18-21• 18 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.”[a] 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead — since he was about a hundred years old —and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.
• In her 90th year, Sarah became pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy. And do you know what Sarah did in the delivery tent? She laughed. It was not the same kind of laugh as nine months before. First she laughed at God; then she laughed with God. First she laughed because she saw it as ridiculous; then she laughed because God had done the impossible. At the first it was the laughter of disbelief; then it was the laughter of faith.
• Sarah is the only woman in the Bible whose age was recorded at death – a sign of great importance among the early Hebrews. (Article on Sarah from Nelsons Illustrated Bible Dictionary,)• The prophet Isaiah would, years later, declare Abraham and Sarah as the mother and father of the Hebrew people. (Isaiah 51:2)• The Apostle Peter would cite Sarah as an example of the holy women of old who trusted in God and possessed inward spiritual beauty. (1 Peter 3:6)• The writer of Hebrews included Sarah as one of faith’s heroines in his roll call of the faithful in Hebrews 11. (Hebrews 11:11)
• These words were found on a wall in Cologne Germany were Jews had been hiding from the Nazi’s. “I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I don’t feel it. And I believe in God even when he is silent.”
• A representative of the gas company phoned the owner of an expensive new home to make an appointment for the service man to come in and light the pilot lights and adjust the furnace. The owner said that was OK, but he wanted to make sure he was there, because if he wasn’t the service man would never get the furnace going. The caller insisted that his people were well trained and would have no trouble. "You don’t understand," the owner said, "When your man tries to adjust the furnace he’ll go out of his mind. The thermostat in the entry hall is a dummy. It’s there for my wife to play with. Only I know where the real one is hidden.”
• Mothers are central to the success of the American family. Their love, dedication, and wisdom touch countless lives every day in every community throughout our land. And their love and guidance of children help to develop healthy and spiritually sound families. President John Quincy Adams once said, “All that I am my mother made me.” President Abraham Lincoln believed, “All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother. I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” These statements are just as true for the millions of Americans who credit their mothers for helping to successfully shape their lives (George W. Bush).
• I thought about George Washington, our first President Did you know that in 1747 he wanted so badly to leave America and join the British Navy. His father wanted him to, but for some reason, his mother didn’t feel like that was the right thing to do. And she followed him all the way down to the dock, and she said, “Son, you can do what you want, but I so feel that you must not that there is some great destiny awaiting you here, that I really do not want you to go.” And so then, on the shore, he made a fateful decision – at the advice of his mother, he didn’t go to join the British Navy. What a UNIQUE ROLE that mother’s play!
• Warren Wiersbe wrote, "We parents never seem to outgrow our children. When theyre little theyre a handful; but when theyre grown, theyre a heartful." He remembered his mother say, "When theyre little, they step on your toes; but when theyre grown, they step on your heart.
• A few years ago, there was an article in The Reader’s Digest that told about a man who woke up one morning to find a puddle of water in the middle of his king-size water bed. In order to find and fix the hole in his mattress, he rolled drained some of the water out and rolled the mattress outdoors. Then he filled it with more water and started to turn it over looking for the leak. But the enormous bag of water was impossible to control, and it started to roll off his driveway. He tried to hold it back, but he barely slowed it down as it went head-over-heels down the hill and landed in a row of bushes, which poked it full of holes.• Disgusted, the man threw out the water bed, bladder frame and all, and replaced it with a standard bed and a regular mattress.• The next morning he woke to find a muddle of water in the middle of his new bed. That’s when he discovered that the upstairs bathroom had a leaky drain.
• God’s love is non-preferential. Illustration: A mother who had twelve children was asked which one she loved the best. Her answer: "The one who’s sick until he gets well; and the one who is away until he gets back home!"
• ILL. Jean Barron spent several years living in a little mobile home that was pretty dilapidated. She tells about raising her kids in that kind of environment. Then one day her son came home & announced that his best friend had run away from home. Jean Barron said, "I looked at my child & said, `I don’t understand. He lives in such a nice house & seems to have everything any child could ever want. Why did he run away?’" Her son answered, "Well, in their home they have a lot of environment, but not very much love. In our home we have lots of love, but not very much environment."
• a. Mothers teach us about foresight: "Make sure you wear clean underwear in case you’re in an accident." b. Mothers teach us about logic: "If you fall out of that tree and break your neck, don’t come crying to me." c. Mothers teach us about maturity: "Eat your vegetables or you’ll never grow up." d. Mothers teach us about religion: "You better pray that comes out of the carpet." e. Mothers teach us about time travel: "If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week!" f. Mothers teach us about contradictions: "Shut your mouth and eat your dinner!" g. Mothers teach us about contortionism: "Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck?" h. Mothers teach us about perseverance: "You are going to sit here until you eat every last piece of that broccoli." i. Mothers teach us about genetics: "You’re just like your father." j. Mothers teach us about the weather: "It looks like a tornado swept through your room." k. Mothers teach us about the circle of life: "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.“• • My Mother taught me … LOGIC … If you fall off that swing and break your neck, you can’t go to the store with me. • My Mother taught me MEDICINE … If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they’re going to freeze that way. • My Mother taught me TO THINK AHEAD … If you don’t pass your spelling test, you’ll never get a good job! • My Mother taught me ESP … Put your sweater on; don’t you think that I know when you’re cold? • My Mother taught me TO MEET A CHALLENGE … What were you thinking? Answer me when I talk to you … Don’t talk back to me! • My Mother taught me HUMOR … When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don’t come running to me. • My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT … If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up. • My mother taught me about GENETICS … You are just like your father! • My mother taught me about my ROOTS … Do you think you were born in a barn? • My mother taught me about the WISDOM of AGE … When you get to be my age, you will understand. • My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION … Just wait until your father gets home. • My mother taught me about RECEIVING … You are going to get it when we get home. • And my all time favorite thing—JUSTICE one day you will have kids, and I hope they turn out just like YOU … then you’ll see what it’s like.
• 1. Illustration: Susannah Wesley was the mother of 14 children, including her famous sons Charles and John, who had a tremendous impact upon the world. It has been said of her that she prayed for one hour per day for each child. Why didn’t she pray for one hour for all 14? Because they were different and had different needs.• Susannah Wesleys Rules For Raising Children:• 1. Subdue self-will in a child and thus work together with God to save his soul. 2. Teach him to pray as soon as he can speak. 3. Give him nothing he cries for and only what is good for him if he asks for it politely. 4. To prevent lying, punish no fault which is freely confessed, but never allow a rebellious, sinful act to go unnoticed. 5. Commend and reward good behavior. 6. Strictly observe all promises you have make to your child.
• John Quincy Adams, the sixth president of the United States, said, "All that I am my mother made me." Abraham Lincoln, the sixteenth president of the United States, said, "All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother." Dwight L. Moody, the famed evangelist, declared, "All that I have ever accomplished in life I owe to my mother."
• At a university 600 students were asked to write on a piece of paper the most beautiful word in the English language.• 422 wrote the word MOTHER.• 112 wrote the word HOME.
• Women who never have children enjoy the equivalent of an extra three months a year in leisure time, says Susan Lang, author of Women Without Children. If that figure seems high, remember that the average mother spends 3.5 more hours a week doing housework than would a woman without children, plus 11 hours a week on child-related activities. This adds up to an additional 754 hours of work every year--the equivalent of three months of 12-hour, 5-day work weeks.
• In her book, The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom wrote about an incident in World War II that taught her to trust that God knows what he is doing. She and her sister, Betsy, had been sent to the Ravensbruck concentration camp by the Nazis. The barracks they were assigned were not only over-crowded, but flea- infested. As Corrie lay in the dry straw she had made for a bed, not only was she suffocated by human bodies, but fleas bit away at her skin and she got so frustrated and complained to God. “God why these fleas? Haven’t I gone through enough God! I can take anything but fleas. You’ve got to be joking God.” It was there in Ravensbruck that Corrie and her sister Betsy started a Bible Study in their barracks for Jewish women. It was illegal to study the Bible in those prison camps and if the guards came into the barracks and found them, death was certain. But to Corrie’s surprise the Bible Studies grew and grew and no guard ever interrupted, never came into the barracks. After weeks and weeks of the Bible Studies, Corrie and her sister finally found out why the guards never came into their barracks. One of them overheard a guard say, “We don’t go in there because of the fleas.” She could not understand the reason for the fleas at first but it all made sense to her now. God had worked it all out for good.