• What is IOT?
• Why IOT?
• IOT in agriculture
• Implemented method
• Advantages and
WHAT TO EXPECT IN COMING SLIDES
What is IOT?
IOT is short for Internet of Things
The Internet of Things(IOT) is inter-networking
of physical devices. This system has ability to
transfer data over a network without requiring
human-to-human or human-to-computer
• IOT has many applications in agriculture, smart Cities,
smart home, healthcare, business sectors, Traffic
monitoring , Transport and logistics etc
• Thi is a growing mega trend that will influence
everything from businesses to our daily personal lives.
• Here we are mainly focussing on agriculture as it plays
a vital role in development of our country’s economy.
WHY IOT ?
• Make things “smart” (UID)
• Far away communication with smart devices
• Automate things (ultimate goal)
20-30% loss of agricultural products.
5-10% loss in rice crops, in Asia due to rodents.
Death rate due to rodent borne diseases is higher in comparison
with illness like HIV-AIDS.
WHAT IS INTERNET OF THINGS
WHY IOT IS IMPLEMENTED IN AGRICULTURE SECTOR
IOT IN AGRICULTURE
• Today, India ranks second in the world in farm output
64% of cultivated land dependent on monsoons.
• Irrigation accounts for 55-75% of water usage in
• Nearly 60% of the water used in irrigation is wasted.
• we conserve water by using soil moisture sensors.
IOT APPLICATION IN AGRICULTURE
Crop water management
Pest management and control works
Food production and safety etc.,
• Usually the farmer pumps the water more or less to
cultivate the land.
• This may result in wastage of water or insufficiency to
• Sends an alerting message to the farmer when the
moisture level increases or decreases.
CROP WATER MANAGEMENT
Often farmers hardwork are destroyed by
predators(pests) that results in huge loss to farmers.
To prevent such situation AGRICULTURE INTERNET
OF THINGS has a system that detects the motion
of predators using PIR sensors.
This information can be used by the farmers to
reduce damage done by predators.
PEST MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL WORKS
• Precision farming is a new farming management concept tailored to the specific
conditions of every field, which uses sensor integration, automatic control,
information processing and network communications capabilities.
• To provide a suitable growth environment for the plant in a more energy-efficient
and cost-saving way, farmers could use the system for remote monitoring and
factory automation management.
FOOD PRODUCTION AND SAFETY
• Sensors connected to IoT will inform the farmer of his yield status by monitoring
food production and handling operations. A huge network of devices will
communicate with one another in the automated mode requiring absolutely no
• It would also help him to monitor and adjust temperature in the food storage
centers. Temperature is an important metric that would protect food and produce.
•These sensors would continuously keep tabs on the quantity and quality of
food that is transported, thereby ensuring that food safety standards are
•Companies can monitor the shipments, their location, the amount of jostling
received by the produce, the amount of light exposure they are getting and
climate in that area. If any inspections are required, these devices would
send alerts as well.
• A sensor that will sense the moisture level in the land (sand)
SOIL MOISTURE SENSOR.
SOIL MOISTURE SENSOR
• A PIR based motion detector is used to sense movement of
people,animals or other objects.
PASSIVE INFRARED SENSOR
• Both SOIL MOISTURE SENSOR and PIR SENSOR are connected to
the Arduino to perform an action.
• Arduino will send the data to the data base using Ethernet shield
and if emergency it also send message to the user by using a device
called GSM module.
• Ultrasonic Sound Repeller
• Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
• Web camera
• Ultrasonic ranging device
• Raspberry pi2 model b
• PIR sensor
• Sensors are connected to GPIO header .PIR sensors have three pins: Vcc, OUT,
GNDURD (HC-SR04) has 4 pins: TRIG, ECHO, Vcc, GND .
• The repeller will be activated by server based upon data analysis.
• Raspberry pi B+ GPIO header consists of 40 pins.
• HC-SR04-ECHO port is rated as 5V. The GPIO input pin is rated as
3.3V.So we use a voltage divider circuit (1KΩ and 2KΩ.)
• In addition, web camera is connected to universal serial bus port of
• Set up in a small area of size 10sq.m.
• Installed in the corner with sensors facing
same side and cameras fixed at some
•Then the test can be started.
A success rate of 84.8% i.e.
118 test cases out of 139 test cases.
Unsuccessful test cases i.e.
15.2% were due to devices connectivity,
data transmission, notification, and other
• We can predict soil moisture level and motion of
• Irrigation system can be monitored .
• Damage caused by predators is reduced.
• Increased productivity.
• Water conservation.
• Profit to farmers.
S. R. Nandurkar, V. R. Thool, R. C. Thool, “Design and Development of Precision
Agriculture System Using Wireless Sensor Network”, IEEE International
Conference on Automation, Control, Energy and Systems (ACES), 2014
JoaquínGutiérrez, Juan Francisco Villa-Medina, Alejandra Nieto-Garibay, and
Miguel Ángel Porta-Gándara, “Automated Irrigation System Using a Wireless
Sensor Network and GPRS Module” ,IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON
INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT, 0018-9456,2013
Dr. V .Vidya Devi,G. Meena Kumari, “Real- Time Automation and Monitoring
System for Modernized Agriculture” ,International Journal of Review and
Research in Applied Sciences and Engineering (IJRRASE) Vol3 No.1. PP 7-12, 2013