O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Netflix Cloud Platform and OSS,
ZeroToDocker, and containers
The Netflix Cloud Platform
Zero to Docker overview
Zero to Docker demo
A look forward at operationalizing containers
About me, road to Netflix
● Working for IBM on Java/Middleware performance
○ Cloud & mobile deemed Enterprise Java benchmarks non-interesting
○ Monolithic DB’s, resiliency and code updates not required
● Acme Air (Benchmark) FTW!
○ Showed web/cloud scale
■ 4B+ per day mobile requests end to end, hundreds of nodes
■ But, wasn’t operable
○ Rewrote using NetflixOSS libraries & services
■ Now operable, with same levels of scale
■ Also enabled Microservices and CI/CD
■ Won Netflix Cloud Prize
About me, road to Netflix
● Now that NetflixOSS was understood
○ Ported libraries & services to IBM middleware and cloud
■ POC’s for Open Stack, Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes
○ Started to onboard and operate IBM SaaS businesses
■ Most interestingly … IBM Watson
● 2014 - “Should I work on transforming horses into cloud
unicorns or should I build the next cloud unicorn?”
● Joined Netflix in the cloud platform team
○ Focusing on performance/scalability
○ Also helping with architecture, containers, open source
Elastic, Web and Hyper Scale
Not doing that
Testing is only way to prove HA
● Chaos Monkey
○ Kill instances in production - runs regularly
● Chaos Gorilla
○ Kills availability zones (single datacenter)
○ Also testing for split brain important
● Chaos Kong
○ Kill entire region and shift traffic globally
○ Run frequently but with prior scheduling
Cool, how do I get started?
● Build the github code
● Guess at the configuration
○ Good luck!
○ Most NetflixOSS services designed for scale, not single server
● Read the github wiki
● Ask questions on the Google groups
● Took me weeks the first time
“½ of the problem with Netflix Open Source is the
packaging” - James Govenor (Remonk)
ZeroToDocker to the Rescue!
Zero To Docker is a project to help accelerate the evaluation of
NetflixOSS. The Docker images created are not intended to be
used in production as is. The Docker images created are to allow
for easier evaluation of the various NetflixOSS technologies, similar
to many other published open source Docker images. Netflix
continues to run our cloud deployments on virtual machines
leveraging the deep IaaS support of Amazon EC2.
Demo time - What am I showing?
Mac OS X
● Docker running instances
○ Single kernel
○ Contained processes
● A Microservices app and
● Asgard management
● Zookeeper and Exhibitor
What is available?
● security monkey
● sample karyon
How can I get these images?
● You could build them
yourself from github
● Or you could get them
○ Trusted builds
○ Built by Docker from
NetflixOSS built binaries
What have we learned from Z2D?
● Easy for people to abuse containers
○ Monolithic VM replacements, sometimes worse
● Build ecosystem is immature
○ Dockerhub is a good start
○ Lacks features of full CI/CD system
● Features great for dev, poor for repeated deployment
○ Layers build up, but can be reduced
○ Localized bridge network
● It’s hard to go back to VM’s after using containers
○ Seconds hard to replace with minutes
Why not production ready?
● Demo was on single node (laptop)
● Docker alone does not get you production deployment,
○ Multi-host Networking
○ Security groups and roles
○ Log aggregation
○ Storage management
○ Job scheduling and auto scaling/recovery
● Many competing ecosystems growing to cover these