1. What is a topic sentence?
• A topic sentence is a sentence that
introduces a paragraph by
presenting one topic that will be the
focus of that paragraph.
The structure of a paragraph should
imitate the organization of a paper.
2. • Just like the thesis statement gives
the main idea of the paper at the
essay level, the topic sentence gives
the main idea at the paragraph level.
The rest of the paragraph then
supports that topic.
3. 1. What is a topic sentence?
A sentence that states the main idea of
2. What is the purpose of a topic sentence?
To introduce the main idea of the
3. How do you write a topic sentence?
By starting with a general statement
and narrowing it down to a more specific
4. 4. What are the characteristics of a good
A good topic sentence is clear and
concise. A good topic sentence states the
main idea of the paragraph.
A good topic sentence is well-
5. What is a major mistake people make
when writing a topic sentence?
Introducing a minor point instead of
the main point.
5. 6. How can you make sure your topic
sentence is effective?
By making sure it is interesting and
7. How can you ensure that your topic
sentence is relevant to the rest of your
6. By making sure that your topic sentence is
clear and concise
By ensuring that your topic sentence is
well-supported by the rest of your paper
By making sure that your topic
sentence reflects the main idea of your