1. Post-Production Diary
To start of my documentary, I first wrote the script for my
voiceover and recorded it. I did this by recording in my voice
memos using my MacBook's mic. My script was typed up
straight onto Celtx and therefore was digital, I could read the
script and record the voiceover at the same time by splitting
my screen. If I wanted to go over and rerecord just a certain
segment of my voiceover I could by pausing the recording,
moving the pointer to where I wanted to start rerecording
and press the "replace" button in the bottom left side of the
This was super simple to record, next I exported the voice
over file onto my downloads and imported it into the
software I was using to edit my video footage, where I could
also cut the alter the voice over.
2. Post-Production Diary
To edit my footage, I used a software called Davinci Resolve 17
where I could edit my video footage, images, sound, voice over
With this editing software I could cult videos, add text and
credits, transitions, music, sound effects and my voiceover.
I created several different layers when editing, one just for
subtitles, two for sound (background music/live music and
voiceover/interviews) and three for videos. I muted the
soundtrack that most videos were on, this was because I
wanted them to have consistent background music, as well as
my voice over which described the importance of the
background footage. The only videos where the original
recorded sound could be heard were on a separate layer (and
therefore not muted) were the interviews and live music
3. Post-Production Diary
For the introduction of my documentary, I needed to introduce the title of
the documentary and the name of my production company, Sixx. With the
software that I was using to edit, I could choose premade text transitions,
for my title I chose the "Draw on corners" title and for my production
company I chose a simple "Fade on" transition, I also made the production
company name smaller so that the title had more of an impact and was
more memorable, as this was the most important part of the introduction.
Another part I edited was fading these texts as I didn't want them to had a
straight cut one after the other, instead I made the texts fade in and out,
making the screen go back to black before the next text popped up onto
As soon as the production titles faded out, I added the start of the
background music to fade in slowly, with my voiceover appearing over the
top a couple seconds later while my first clip also faded onto the screen.
4. Post-Production Diary
Between each video, I began to make them fade at
the beginning and the end, this was to make them
transition more smoothly and I believe this looked
better than the straight cut edits.
With this I could change the length of the fade to
make it as quick or slow as I wanted, I went with the
lengthier fades as I thought it looked better.
A problem that I faced with this was some of my clips
weren't long enough to have the lengthier fades
which made the edits look bad and rushed, because
of this I had to get rid of and rerecord some of these
clips to make them longer.
5. Post-Production Diary - Improvements
For my interviews I added the names of the people that I was
interviewing and who they were (i.e., what course they were studying)
to make it look more professional and tell my audience more about
who they are. The people I interviewed fit in with my documentary as
they fit into the target audience of the documentary, which would
make it more appealing to the actual target audience.
I faced a few problems with the interviews as although I used a mic to
record, there were vents in the recording studio that the mic picked up
which were considerably loud on the recording. In the first draft I tried
to combat this by rerecording the parts of me asking the
question increasing the sound of the background music, however this
made the people I was interviewing less audible. I fixed this in my final
draft (as well as a spelling mistake of Georgia's name) by decreasing
the background music volume.
6. Post-Production Diary – Improvements
Another problem I faced was also due to the original audio
recordings on the footage that I recorded. In this instance the
original audio was incredibly loud in comparison to the rest of
the footage, therefore I needed to alter it in the editing
process for my final draft and decrease its volume.