O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
The Purpose of Education
The primary purpose of elementary education/ high school / university is
to . . .
The primary purpose of elementary education/ high school / university
should be to . . .
to have fun
to become well-rounded
to make friends
to learn job skills
to increase IQ
to meet boy/girl friends
to learn social skills
to prepare for living in society
to become open-minded
to prepare for tests
to become cultured
to make connections
to learn how to learn
to learn how to research
to develop your body
to develop artistic skills
1. Why do students cheat during tests and exams? How do they cheat? Have you ever cheated in an
exam? What are the dangers of cheating? How should parents react? How should teachers react?
2. Which is more important, the essential skills in life you've learned to develop on your own or the
artificial structure in college about the "real" life?
3. Do you think that most parents influence what university their child will attend?
4. Do you think teachers are paid enough? Do you think teachers are well educated?
5. Should teachers give homework? Why?/Why not?
6. Do you think competition is good or bad for students?
7. Is the purpose of school to help students get a job?
8. Do parents home-school their children in your country? What do you think of home-schooling? Do
you know anyone who was home-schooled?
9. Are straight-A students smarter than others or just better at memorizing things? Did you really
learn in school or did you just memorize information and pass tests?
10. Was school ever canceled for a day when you were a child?
11. Do you think it is easier to learn as a child or as an adult?
12. What are the skills that separate good students from bad students?
13. Were good grades important to you? Did teachers grade students fairly? Did you ever feel like you
should have gotten a better grade then you did in a class?
14. Was it harder to study in college than in high school? How does college compare to high school?
What advice would you give a high school student who is about to go to college?
15. What did you major in? Why did you choose the major you did?
16. Did you live in a dormitory while you went to college? Who were your roommates?
“The Woman Who Disappeared”
by Philip Prowse (Chapters 5,6)
1. Where did Lenny find himself at the beginning of the chapter?
How did he feel?Who phoned him when he arrived at the
office?What did they want?
2. Where did he go after a good night sleep?What for?Who did
he meet there? How did they treat Lenny?
3. What did Susie tell Lenny?Were Susie and Elaine good
4. Why, where and because of what did they have an argument?
Who is Benny Greep?
5. How do you understand Lenny’s words:“That was just my
Modern Family Episode 7 “En Garde”
1. How does the episode start?Which sport does Manny do? Is he
a success? How does Jay react to that?Why so?
2. How do Claire and Mitchel feel about Jay’s reaction?Why?
3. What was Cameron busy with during the competition? What
aboutAlex, Luke and Hailey?
4. What do we find out about Mitchel and Claire’s sporting
achievements?Why does Mitchel feel offended?Whose blame
is that, in his opinion?
5. How does Claire explain her behaviour?What do they decide
to do to help Mitchel overcome these bitter feelings? Does it
6. What else happens at the finals?What prevented Jay and Glory
from enjoying Manny’s victory?Why?