Vehicle Tracking solution (Tracking System)
What is a tracking system ?
Globally, transport carriers are always striving to optimize their operational performance. This can be
achieved with real-time visibility of their vehicle location, monitoring trip characteristics, route/fleet
management, consignment tracking, fuel monitoring, Engine start/lock controls, etc.
24 X 7 Monitoring, Tracking & Security service using cutting edge GPS & GPRS/GSM technology. The
vehicle unit transmits detailed logs and vehicle related information to the Control Center which
channelizes communication like instant Alerts and warnings and real time tracking.
PROPOSED IDEA !
Usually it is seen that customers are not happy with the services being offered by the SEB’s distribution
Franchise. Our mechanism will be more reliable and fast, which will not only reduce complications but
will certainly address customer queries in more efficient manner.
KIPL’s Tracking system named IWEtrack will enable the organization to monitor its fleet of service
vehicle to improve efficiency and reduce cost by having real-time information about vehicles’ position,
speed, stoppages, detours etc. The data should be available in the central database where users can see
the status of vehicles on digital maps, along with diagnostic reports and receive real-time alerts on
Overview of the Process:
Install GPS tracking Device on all Mobile Complaint/collection devices.
Once we complete our hardware installation process we are ready to commence its functioning.
Our tracking system will be useful in two cases.
• For User Complaints
• For Collection
User Complaints : Under this section user avails the IVRS facility of the CIS of any distribution franchisee
and followed by that relevant data is collected from consumer, like his Pole no, Consumer Number,
address, type of complain etc. Call center operator generates a report based on the location of nearest
Mobile complaint Van available to the user(reports generated via our Tracking application and by the
help of tracking device). Say for example Consumer ‘A’ registers a complaint and provides his/her
relevant details to the CIS. The Call center operator will seek information about the nearest available
MCV’s to the consumer by using our (TWA)Tracking Web application. The TWA will acknowledge the call
center operator about available MCVs in the customers locality and will also notify the nearest MVC
about the respective customers address/Pole Number. Suppose there are 2 MCVs available but one is 5
Km from the customer’s address and one is 8Km from the customer’s address. The TWA will notify
MCV1 as its nearest MCV available. In this way customer complaints will be handled in a more efficient
and sophisticated manner. This will be commercially more profitable than the orthodox procedure.
Collection: Similar to the above mentioned idea the only difference is customer will be acknowledged
about the location of the nearest Mobile collection van available. TWA will not send any report to
Mobile Collection Van.
What can you achieve by implementing our idea ?
• Better Service
• Generate a range of MIS reports
• These can be made available on demand to pre- scheduled and pre-defined address within
• Establish routes and rules to alerts, and / or report on route deviation.
The system architecture would be web technology based and would be accessible through the
Internet using the logon facility through multiple levels of security.
The basic features of the software would be
• Real Time Tracking – Should provide real time information on vehicle status based on
location, speed and time.
• Online Alerts - Should provide critical alerts such as
• Over Speeding
• Unauthorized stoppages
• Engine On/OFF
• Trip Replay – would provide replay of the routes traveled by vehicles plotted on the map.
• MIS Reports – would provide reports by date, vehicle ID or Driver Name. Generate standard
reports on specified criteria such as Vehicle stoppages, vehicle speeding or trip summary,
vehicle crossing geo-fence limits.
• Distance travelled by the vehicle in within the limit area, outer limit area.
• Various types of monthly summary reports
• Admin report
• Vehicle performance report
• Vehicle and Group Management - Update driver and vehicle profiles, as well as manage vehicle
groups and vehicle types.
• Geographic Display
• The real time location of the vehicle on the MAP
• The route undertaken by the vehicles on the MAP(History data).
• All the specified points (way points)
• Total Distance traveled, distance traveled between stops.
• Work hour report
• Total time, time taken between stops, time taken during a trip.
• Report on overtime tracking, over KM tracking
• 3 months storage of history data
• User management/user administration
• Meta data entry/master Database management
• Predetermined (Dynamic) customized trip reports and exception reports(on request)
• Various Zoom levels of the MAP at least 05 zoom levels
• Dynamic ETA (expected time of arrival) of each vehicle at the destination. On road vehicles route
wise. (on request)
• View reports Contractor wise.
• Email reports/ export report
• SMS Alerts on designated number(s)
• Vehicle crossing the geo-fence range (boundary)
• SMS when vehicle is out
• SMS when vehicle is In
• Know the vehicle location in fixed interval of time on your mobile
• Vehicle taking un-due stoppage time
• Vehicle arrival on scheduled location
• Vehicle departure from scheduled location
• Know the vehicle location at any point of time by sending SMS to server and ask the location
List of expected benefits
How organization has benefited from our Intelligent Transport
• Safety & Security
• This is your eye from the sky
• Enables immediate action on rogue vehicle
• Enables Road Side Assistance
• Optimal Floor/Production/Delivery Planning
• Ensure Vehicle Arrival//Departure as per schedule
• Enable Just In Time Practices
• Enable last minute changes through appropriate instructions to the driver.
• Cut Cost – The system pays for itself
• Cuts cost through improved fleet utilization
• Avoids Moonlighting,, Side Trips,, Unauthorized use of vehicle
• Cut Idle Time by dispatching nearest vehicle
• Verify tampered Odometers on ADHOC//ATTACHED vehicles
• Monitor KMS//LITER of fuel across the fleet through data analysis
• Web Server, Database And Parsing Unit
• Processor: Intel Xeon 2.3 GHz
• Memory: 4 GB
• Storage: 80GB
• Operating System: Ubuntu Linux Server 11.04 and above
• Database: MySql 5.1.x
• JavaSE 7 (JDK 7)
• Glassfish Server Version 3.1.1 (Preferred Apache Tomcat 7.0.25)
Note: The CPU and Memory requirements stated above are the minimum. More powerful systems may
be required depending on the number of vehicles registered in the system.
Points and modes of possible failures
The system is dependent on a number of components/service providers. The point and nature of
failures may be as follows:
GPS Tracking hardware Unit:
• Unit ceases to function in the desired manner
• GPS antenna gets disconnected
• Power cable gets disconnected
• RFID reader gets disconnected from base unit
• SIM card is not inserted properly
Communication Service provider GSM/GPRS
• Network not available in some regions (blackout)
• SIM card fault
• Service barred due to non-payment of bill
• Temporary service failure
• Google maps not available
• Google maps API service not available
Internet Service provider
• Internet link may go down in which case the static IP is
unavailable, resulting in loss of data sent by the tracking device,
for the duration that the link is down. Also, the site will be
Web Hosting of Application
• The server machine fails
• Database server goes down
• Database connection issue
• System/Application software error
From the above mentioned points it is clear that to keep the tracker system running, one has to depend
on a number of service providers.
If client hosts the system at their facility, then it will be the responsibility of client to ensure that the
following services are working in uninterrupted manner:
• Internet line
• Server hardware and all related components
• Google Maps
KIPL will then be responsible only for the following services in accordance with the Annual Maintenance
• Application software
• Software maintenance and database functionality
KIPL will assign a relationship manager who will ensure that prompt service is provided in accordance
with the Annual Maintenance Contract.