50th Anniversary Keynote for Korean Testing Laboratory
Global Vision, Future Technologies,
and Collective Intelligence for
Testing and Certification Forum for the 50th
Anniversary of the Korean Testing Laboratory (KTL)
Jerome C. Glenn, CEO The Millennium Project
be far faster
by responding to feedback from
sensor networks worldwide,
will accelerate AI’s intelligence
worldwide… moment by moment
Artificial Intelligence … that can autonomously
“write” and improve its code…
2017 HP’s Multi Jet Fusion 3D printer…. has 30,000 nozzles spraying
350 million drops a second of thermoplastic or other powdered
materials… Imagine a factory composed of 10,000 of these 3D Printers
A 4-ounce metal chain
link was printed in half
an hour and then tested
to withstand 10,000 lbs
Since 3D will evolve so
fast, then is it software
that is tested before
Cloud Manufacturing and Intelligent
Networks … Across national boundaries
• Software integration in the cloud of all elements of value chain,
testing, production, sales, feedback, and re-design
• Keeps management of supply chain at the innovation edge
• Integrates with the Internet of Things (IoT) on a dynamic basis
• Using common digital manufacturing standards
If you can’t beat AI,
why not join with it?
…and evolve together?
Without major socio-economic changes…
unemployment will grow around the world
survey of 300 Futures
from over 30 counties
We will change the
nature of work,
(Since ILO numbers are
low, these could double)
Will we create our own Avatars in the Digital
World to be our Cyber-selves? Cyber-Clones?
exciting work for
us while we
IoT to improve
every moment ?
Where is all this change going?
What kind of future could emerge?
What’s the future vision?
Simplification/Generalization of History
and an Alternative Future
Element Product Power Wealth Place War Time
Food/Res Religion Land Earth/Res Location Cyclical
Industrial Machine Nation-State Capital Factory Resources Linear
Information Info/serv Corporation Access Office Perception Flexible
Linkage Individual Being Motion Identity Invented
How to keep all this information together?
…And anticipate future changes?
Menu for each Challenge
1. Situation Chart: Current Situation; Desired Situation; and Policies
2. Report (detailed text)
3. News items (automatic news feeds – aggregated and searchable)
4. Scanning (annotated, rated information)
5. On-going Real-Time Delphi questionnaires to collect expert judgments
7. Discussion groups
8. Computer models (mathematical and rules-based), and conceptual models
9. Resources: websites, books, papers, videos
10. Updates – all edits
11. Digests – Recent scans, edits, discussions
Collective Intelligence Systems for
Korea Testing Laboratory KTL
• Support KTL to become a global institute
• Help keep track and anticipate change
• Unite functions, foresight, strategy, and programs
• Provide a common platform for a “Whole-of-KTL”
response to future challenges
• Identify new opportunities; strategic investments for KTL
• Invite experts and creative people to participate in
building a “brain” for the future of KTL
Additional future methods
• Testing via computation engineering – simulations (e.g., atomic bomb tests) and
VR displays for testing with computational engineering simulation testing
• AI replacing skilled human testers
• Ultra sonic methods and imaging
• Online real-time continuous testing (radiography, thermography, shearography)
• Citizen science, intelligent urban environmental infrastructures.
• Synergetic advantage may be the new Competitive Advantage (as integration
• Since 3D will go so fast, then is it software that is tested before printing?
• Citizen science and testing?
• One set of international ethics standards seems evolving with ISO
For further information
Jerome C. Glenn
Global Futures Intelligence System:
2015-16 State of the Future:
Futures Research Methodology 3.0: