O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Empirical Research Methodology
Associate professor, IDI, NTNU
Name, title of the presentation
What is TDT39?
The course is for students who are
interested in research in 'real world'
settings. You will learn methods for
exploring how and why various
information/computer systems are
designed, implemented and used.
•IT3010 - Full course mandatory
for master of science (Spring
•TDT39 (this course) - Elective
course for M.Techn. (Autumn)
•You cannot take both courses!
The thinking man
Figure 3.1 in: B. J. Oates, Researching Information Systems and Computing. London: Sage Publications, 2006.
Briony J. Oates,
Researching Information Systems
London: Sage Publications, 2006.
• Your research plan for your master thesis.
– Version 1.0 ready by end of September.
• A template will be provided, along with some example plans. See
the web pages.
• The template is based on the book.
– Purpose: Why you want to do this research? What is the relevance?
– Contributions: What new knowledge/product will you produce?
– Research method: What research strategy/method will you use?
– Participants: Who do you need for your research? What resources do you
– Research paradigm: Is this a positivitst, interpretivist,
or critical research project?
– Deliverable: What is the form of the final deliverable?
• We will have 2-3 meetings (to be announced on the
– Next meeting approx. Mid-September to prepare version 1.0 of the
– Opportunity to discuss questions.
– Opportunity to present your research plan.
What I can do for you
• I can answer questions related to the book and to the
• What I cannot do:
– I cannot answer questions related to your research project.
• Ask your supervisor.
– I cannot be available all the time.
• Currently contact time is Wednesdays after 13:00, or email me.
The role of your supervisor
• The deliverable from TDT39, the research plan, is
your plan for your master’s thesis.
• Your supervisor needs to be involved.
• You need to agree with your supervisor about the
content of the plan.
• If you are not doing your master thesis this year
please let me know!
• Teacher: Babak Farshchian
• Room: 106 IT building ITV
• Availability: Wednesdays after 13:00,
and on email
• See course web pages for more information:
with course IT3010).