• Sam Walton ,the founder of Wal-Mart, opened the first Wal-Mart
store in Rogers, Arkansas in 1962.
• World's largest public corporation by revenue
• Founded Walmart.com in January 2000, is a subsidiary of Wal-Mart Stores
i.e. Walmart.com is a lot like your neighborhood Walmart store
• Largest private employer in the world.
• Fourth largest utility or commercial employer.
• Largest grocery retailer in the United States (20%).
• Largest toy seller in the United States (22%).
• "The secret of successful retailing is to give your
customers what they want. And really, if you think
about it from your point of view as a customer, you
want everything: a wide assortment of good-quality
merchandise; the lowest possible prices; guaranteed
satisfaction with what you buy; friendly,
knowledgeable service; convenient hours; free
parking; a pleasant shopping experience."
- Sam Walton (1918-1992)
• Wal-Mart operates through three business segments:
Walmart US, Walmart international and Sam‘s Club.
• Walmart US
Walmart Discount Stores 629 in the US
Walmart Supercenter: Walmart Discount Stores +
Full Service Supermarket. 3,029 in the
Walmart Market: Previously branded as Walmart
Neighborhood Market. 199 in the US.
8. HISTORY OF
o 1918: Born in a farmer’s family in Kingfisher, Oklahoma.
o 1940: Graduated from the University of Missouri.
o 1950: Gave up job and opened his first store in Arkansas.
o 1962: Walten Brothers opened fist Walmart in Arkansas.
• 1970: Walmart became public.
• 1990: 1st National retailer.
• 1991: International Expansion.
o 1993: Creation of “Great Value”.
o 2003: Largest corporation in the world.
o 2012: 50th Anniversary.
9. MISSION STATEMENT, VISION, GOALS,
Save Money. Live better
To help people save money so they can
Becoming in an international brand
“If we work together, we’ll lower the
cost of living for everyone…we’ll give
the world an opportunity to see what
it’s like to save and have a better life.
• Powerful retail brands, large scale
of operation worldwide.
• One Stop Retail.
• Strategic business programs.
• Efficient working capital
• Brand image-weak reputation
• Low global presence
• Behind rivals in e-commerce
• Global food safety initiative
• Increasing demand of online
• Increasing opportunity in
• Intense competition.
• Price matching program by
• Foreign currency fluctuation.
• Slow market growth
• Political: Policies on economy, trading agreements (NAFTA…) .
• Economical: Unemployment Rate, slightly increase in consumption.
• Socio Cultural: Faster pace of live- Efficiency is key.
• Technological: Use of IT technologies. Online shopping.
• Environmental: Recycling, Contamination issues.
• Legal: More laws and more complex.
12. MAIN COMPETITORS
1. Target is the main competitor of Walmart
2. ranked #33 in the Fortune 500.
3. Target offers very similar products.
4. Target went abroad in January 2011.
Mission: to Make Target your preferred
shopping destination in all channels by
delivering outstanding value, continuous
innovation and exceptional guest experiences.
1. One of the main competitors, pursuing
2. Good location in smaller communities is
the main competence advantage.
3. Strategy: Save time, save money
4. Many items per $1
Mission: to best serve others by keeping it real
15. MARKETING MIX
• 11,000 stores across 27 countries
• Operates under 69 banners
• E-commerce websites in 10 countries
• Walmart stores include :
Sam’s club warehouses
16. MARKETING MIX
• Lower cost than competitors
Great Value (lower cost alternatives)