1. The Value of Team Collaboration For Academic Success
Team Collaboration is valuable when it comes to
• New Invaluable Insight: one is able to see theories,
topics, and ideas through a whole new lens other than
• Project Enrichment: due to various theories, topics,
ideas, and opinions being embraced through the process
of collaboration the project and/or task is enriched.
• Reflection: The insight that the team members receive
often times creates a cause for reflection, which serves to
strengthen the team members academically and
ultimately on a professional level.
• Community: The collaboration process provides a sense
of community and support that is ultimately invaluable
especially for graduate students who have to balance
school with other life demands.
University of Phoenix Learning Team Toolkit. Why
2. Effective Components Necessary For Team Success
• Conflict is a necessary ingredient in the creative process.
Conflict can sometimes be a catalyst for vigorous debate
and creative thinking.
• The right climate should also be created. There should
be trust and safety. Team members should feel
comfortable with regard to sharing any thoughts and/or
ideas they may have. There must be collaboration within
the climate. Collaboration is the glue that promotes
cohesive dialogue and input. There should also exist
emotional intelligence within the climate. Team
members need to be able to manage their emotions.
• Engaging Constructively is also a must as a team. All
team members need to be able to constructively critique
ideas without tearing one another down. Differences of
opinion and/or ideas should be embraced. Team
members also need to be able to accept critique without
taking it personal to the point that it affects how the team
(Flanagan, Tim, Runde, Craig. Strategy & Leadership
37.1 (2009): 20-22)