History Of Wireless Power.
How Wireless Power Works.
Ways of electricity transmission.
Need Of Wireless Power/Witricity.
Advantages & Disadvantages.
Is Witricity Secure ?
3. Wireless Power
• Transmission of energy through the air.
• Process of transferring electric energy or power over distance without wires.
• Also known as “WiTricity” and “Wireless Power Transmission”.
• Power source (transmitter) provides power to the devices where as capture device
(receiver) captures it.
• Eliminates the use of cables for transmission of power
• Transmission by induction through resonators.
4. History Of Wireless Power
In 1899, Sir Nikola Tesla Proposed a method
of Wireless Power Transmission.
Tesla enlighten 200 lamps at the distance of
40 km. But only 15% efficiency was achieved.
As it is in Radiative mode, most of the Power
was wasted and has less efficiency.
5. The Forgotten Invention is reborn in
• A group of engineers at MIT came up with the idea to use resonant induction
to transmit power wirelessly.
• MIT powered 60 watt light bulb from 2 meters (7 ft) at 40% efficiency.
• First Practical example of
7. How Wireless Power Works ?
• 1. Magnetic coil (Antenna A) is housed
in a box and can be set in wall or
• 2. Antenna A, powered by mains,
resonates at a specific frequency.
• 3. Electromagnetic waves transmitted
through the air.
• 4. Second magnetic coil (Antenna B)
fitted in laptop/TV etc resonates at
same frequency as first coil and
• 5. Energy charges the device.
• Safe, fairly efficient, good range.
• Getting rid of great deal of cables !
• More secure, no risk of getting shocked.
• Places where you can not have physical cable,
• No Wires.
• Need for battery is eliminated.
• Ewaste is eliminated.
• Maintenance cost will be save.
• Range can be increased.
16. o Wireless power transmission can be possible
only in few meters.
o Efficiency is only about 40%.
o Need for standardization and adaptation. So a
little overheating occurs because of different
o Refitting old equipment or purchasing new
equipment could become a very expensive
o Possibility of “energy theft”.
17. Range Of Witricity….
• WiTricity can perform electric
transmission 2 cm to 3-4
• Scientists are working on
extending this range
18. One source is able to transfer the energy for the electronic
19. • Batteries can be
charged , it is
just enough to
place the device
to top of one of
22. WPT makes products:
• No manual recharging or changing batteries.
• Eliminate unsightly, unwieldy and costly power
• Never run out of battery power.
• Reduce product failure rates by fixing the
More Environmentally Friendly:
• Reduce use of lots & loops of wires.
• Reduce E-Waste.
23. How Safe is Witricity?
Human beings or other objects placed between
the transmitter and receiver do not hinder the
transmission of power.
Magnetic fields tend to interact very weakly
with the biological tissues of the body, and so
are not prone to cause any damage to any living
Think that the city will be covered with
WPT hot spots , just like Wireless Internet,
there will be no need of charging batteries,
or carrying adapters all around !