O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Current state of open access at Charles University
Current state of open access
at Charles University
PhDr. Radka Římanová, Ph.D.
Central Library of Charles University
Mgr. Tereza Simandlová
Institute of Scientific Information, First Faculty of Medicine
Charles University and open access : introduction
● 2013 - The Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences
● 2017 - Declaration of Charles University Academic Senate and university
management on open access vision
● Charles University Regulations of employees' works
Libraries and open access
Coordinator of open access activities - Central Library of Charles University and
Almost of all faculty libraries have the open access librarian.
Charles University representative is an active member of working group of Open
Access Initiative of Association of Libraries of Czech Universities.
Open Access Week:
● 2015 - seminars on faculties and rectorate
● 2016 - OA brochure
● 2017 - pannel discussion on open science and screening of documentary film about Aaron Schwarz
2014 - the Editorial Policy of Charles University (in Czech)
All journals published by Karolinum Press are open access (23); from 2017 libre
open access (license: CC BY 4.0), no APCs.
All journals are preserved in Portico (international system).
DOAJ: 12 journals, 1 has DOAJ Seal - Envigogika
SHERPA/RoMEO: 1 journal - Envigogika
Karolinum Press also offers publishing of open access monograph - see list
Faculty of Arts Press
All journals published by Faculty of Arts Press (14) are open access from 2015
(license: CC BY-NC-ND 2.0), no APCs.
All journals are preserved in DigiTool repository (institutional system).
DOAJ: 5 journals
SHERPA/RoMEO: 0 journals
Faculty of Education Press
All journals published by Faculty of Education Press (3) are open access (only
without publishing fee, not libre), no APCs.
Speciální pedagogika journal is preserved in DSpace repository (faculty system).
DOAJ: 0 journals (2 journals from Faculty of Education, but not from faculty Press)
SHERPA/RoMEO: 0 journals (1 journal from Faculty of Education, but not from
All open access journals published
at Charles University are available via
SFX A-Z List.
OA brochure for OAWeek in 2015
● target groups:
○ academic staff
● basic terminology introduction to the issue
● list of contacts for departments at the university
● basic information on the risks of predatory journals
● interactive quiz
Open access repositories
CU Digital repository - theses repository, DSpace 5.6
DigiTool repository - old theses (defended before 2006), OA publications from
Cerge-EI, OA monographs of Karolinum Press, OA journals of Faculty of Arts
LINDAT/CLARIN - open data repository of Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
Speciální pedagogika - journal archive of Faculty of Education, DSpace
● institutional repository for scientific publications - it will replace DigiTool
Planned Steps (2017-2020)
1. Central Library of Charles University
○ trend tracking, educational and
2. Special open access librarian
position will be created in all faculty
3. University CRIS system will allow
users to add full texts of publications
to metadata record (depositing and
optionally open access).
Planned Steps (2017-2020)
4. Institutional repository of Charles University (OpenAIRE standards) - DSpace
○ Central Library of Charles University and Computer Science Centre
5. Legal analysis of employee works - qualified counseling for academics
6. All projects supported by Charles University and faculty funds and competitions
(e.g. GAUK etc.) should be open access.
7. Optimal environment for further development of open access publishing will be
set up for Karolinum Press and other faculty publishers (pilot project).
Vision for the future?
Institutional policy - most likely not mandatory, but ideally in
Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access (ID/OA) model
Librarians vision of open access at Charles University:
● Institutional fund
● Institutional legal support
● Other open activities (open data, open educational resources, open