3. What’s the big deal?
• 87% of Americans have mobile phones
• #1 most-used technology device (more than PCs!)
• 25% of all U.S. households have ditched their landlines
(Experian, American Mobile Consumer Report – March 2010)
4. People use their mobile phones 5X more
than their computers to search for your
Are you reaching them there?
5. The future is mobile
In their recent Mobile Internet Report, Morgan Stanley projects that
mobile browsing will outpace desktop based access within 3-5
6. Location-based marketing
From $0 in 2009, location-based marketing is projected to grow to
$6 billion in 2015. Some restaurants are seeing 65 percent
redemption rates from new, real-time geo-targeted ads.
7. How can your business benefit from
8. Benefits of mobile marketing
• Increase customer loyalty
• Generate more revenue per customer
• Increase brand awareness
• Boost website traffic
• Boost retail traffic
9. Challenges for SMBs
• 44% - lack of time to figure out a new technology
• 30% - Perceived expense
• 30% - lack of understanding of how to start
(Fanminder Mobile Marketing Survey – August 2010)
11. What is mobile SEO
• Similar to SEO – getting ranked in the search engines
• Making sure you are optimized for mobile
• You want to be easily found when people are searching on the move!
12. Mobile = New Challenges
• Phones = small screens
• How does your website look on that screen?
• If it’s not optimized, searchers won’t bother
17. SMS / Text-message marketing
• 72 percent of mobile phone users send or receive 664 texts each month,
and that they only make 176 phone calls during the same period of time
• Highest open and read rates of any digital marketing channel
• 33% of email addresses change on a yearly basis, but people are
keeping their cell phone number for life
18. But don’t people hate getting texts
• 97% of all SMS marketing texts are opened by recipients
• Within four minutes!
• People PREFER to receive coupons by text message
(Insight Express, Digital Consumer Portrait – Q2, 2010)
20. Get permission, provide value
• Done ethically and legally, text message marketing is a purely
permission-based marketing method
• Offer incentive for people to opt-in
• Deliver coupons/rewards immediately and frequently
21. SMS Messaging-How?
• Many different platform options available
• Similar to using an email marketing tool
• Set up your short code and post it everywhere your
customers will see it
25. Strategies for mobile advertising
• Get targeted
- Using specific apps
- Type of device
26. Strategies for mobile advertising
• Be realistic about what you expect
• Major purchases aren’t going to happen
• What can you make happen?
- Make a phone call
- Opt-in to list
- Download an app
• Must be quick and easy to do on a phone
27. Mobile advertising-How?
• Many platforms to deliver mobile ads
• Google/AdMob is most well-known
• Other include:
28. Mobile advertising-How?
• As simple as placing a normal online ad
• Make sure ad is designed for mobile
• Really think through the response you expect
31. A mobile app for you?
• Many uses for small businesses to have their own mobile
• But not for everyone
- People already have too many apps
- Starting to app-fatigue
- Your app should add unique value