2. What is Character Sketch
A character Sketch it is a piece of text that can give a brief overview of a particular
person or character to a reader. Getting an idea of how to write a character sketch
greatly helps in sharpening your observational skills. Practicing a character sketch
enables you to improve your summarizing skills, which benefit you in various
exams. Also, it is one of the necessary skills for a person intending to pursue a
career in creative writing, English literature, or even teaching.
4. How to Write a Character Sketch?
• Research about the Character: To begin with, jot down their physical
characteristics, personality features, emotions, etc., which would give a general
idea of what includes the most important traits of the character that needs to be
• Create a descriptive snapshot of the character: The best character sketches are
detailed to include specific important traits, but you should avoid making it
seem like a full history of the character. Start with making a rough draft initially,
then re-read and revise it till it attains a satisfactory standard. Proofreading your
character sketch is necessary to avoid any possible errors.
• Use short, crisp sentences: While writing it is essential to remember that the
character sketch aims to introduce the reader to the character and to provide an
understanding of the character’s personality. The character sketch should help
the reader easily form a visualization of the character when reading the character
5. Write your own
• Choose a real-life person and write a character
sketch for them.
• Use good details and supporting sentences.
• Try to describe the person so we would know who
it is without using their name.