Properties of cellulose
How Paper Battery works
3. A paper battery is a flexible, ultra-thin energy storage and
production device formed by combining carbon nanotubes with a
conventional sheet of cellulose-based paper.
A paper battery acts as both a high-energy battery and
supercapacitor , combining two components that are separate in
traditional electronics .
This combination allows the battery to provide both long-term,
steady power production and bursts of energy.
4. High Tensile strength; Low Shear Strength
Excellent Porosity & Absorption Capacity
Easily Reusable and Recyclable
5. While a conventional battery contains a number of
separate components, the paper battery integrates all of
the battery components in a single structure, making
it more energy efficient.
The research appears in the Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).
"Think of all the disadvantages of an old TV set with
tubes," said Professor Linhardt, from the New York-
based institute, who co-authored a report into the
6. A very brief explanation has been provided.
• Cathode: Carbon Nanotube (CNT)
• Anode: Lithium metal (Li+)
• Electrolyte: All electrolytes (incl. bio
electrolytes like blood, sweat and urine)
• Separator: Paper (Cellulose)
7. Step 1: Black carbon ink is applied on a
Step2: Black carbon ink is being spread on
a paper spread on the paper.
Step3: A thin lithium film is laminated over
the exposed cellulose surface.
Step4:The cellulose paper is heated at 800C
for 5 minutes.
8. Step5: Next, the film is peeled off from the
Step6: The film acts as electrodes of the
paper battery. One film is connected to the
electrolyte LTO (Li4Ti5012) and another film
is pasted to the electrolyte LCO (LiCo02).
Step7: Next, Connect a LED on both the
ends of the battery and check its
11. Biodegradable & Non Toxic
Reusable & Recyclable
No Leakage & Overheating
Very Light Weight & Flexible
12. Carbon nanotubes are very expensive.
Batteries with large enough power are
unlikely to be cost effective.
Should not be inhaled as they can damage
Theses batteries generate e-wastage.
13. One of the major problems bugging the world
now is Energy crisis.
Every nation needs energy and everyone needs
And this problem which disturbs the developed
countries perturbs the developing countries like
India to a much greater extent.
Paper Batteries can provide an altogether path-
breaking solution to the same.