O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Mackinac Island was founded by Jean Nicolet, a French-Canadian, during his 1634 explorations. Jean Nicolet was not only a French explorer but a translator and a negotiator who was the first European to travel through the Great Lakes. Jean Nicolet was born in Normandy, France. Jean Nicolet wanted to live among the Native Americans to learn their language, negotiate, and trade furs. Then Jean Nicolet began his journey form the St. Lawrence river to the Ohio River then onto an island called Ottawa River, where Nicolet remained for two years. Jean Nicolet lived with the Huron and Algonquin tribes, learning their languages and customs. Who found Mackinac Island
Grand Hotel One of the best Hotels at Mackinac Island is the Grand Hotel. Every room at the Grand Hotel is different you will never see any room alike. I think it is pretty extraordinary how they made it like that - don’t you? The Grand Hotel has the largest wrap around parch in the world.
Mackinac Straits The Mackinac straits are the stripes of water that connects two of the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, and separates the lower peninsula of Michigan from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Before the bridge was built, car ferries were used to cross the straits. Before the railroads reached Chicago from the east, it served as part of the path for immigrants into the Midwest and great Plains. The straits were an important Native American and fur trade route.
<ul><li>Fort Mackinac was built by the British during the American revolution. Fort Mackinac served as an imposing sentinel in the straits of Mackinac for 115 years. In 1796 Americans took control. Fort Mackinac remained active until 1895. Mackinac Island was transformed from a center of fur trade into a major summer resort. </li></ul>Fort Mackinac
<ul><li>Arch rock is a natural rock bridge above the eastern shoreline of Mackinac Island in Northern Michigan. One winter the sun descended into an immense hole every evening, as soon as the stars appeared in the sky. This hole was thought to be somewhere off in the distant west. All of the Ottawa nation were greatly alarmed. While they gazing at the sun, they saw it gradually change to the color of blood. </li></ul>Arch Rock
Fudge Fudge is the yummiest most delicious thing known to man kind. . In Mackinac Island though they have been known for the best home – made fudge for over 100 years. Mackinac Island fudge is the most common in America today. This year Mackinac will becoming out with thirty new flavors. In summer of 2008 they will have their 100 th anniversary for the best fudge in America.
Mackinac Island state park Mackinac Island state park originally was established as a national park in 1875. Mackinac Island state park later became the first state park for Michigan. Eighty percent of the island is still park land covered with distinctive stone formations like arch rock and sugar loaf and shadowed by canopies of cedars and birches. Dozens of footpaths crisscrosses its 1,800 acres and Michigan’s shortest highway –m-1875—circles the island with a solid surface for walkers, bicyclists, and horse – drawn vehicles. Mackinac Island has one of the best places to have a state park because it is surround with water.
Sugar Loaf Rock Sugar Loaf Rock is a landlocked rock or stack in the interior of Mackinac Island in Lake Huron. Created by erosion during the period of postglacial Lake Algonquin, Sugar Loaf is the largest post-glacial erosion feature in the straits of Mackinac. The immense rock, which consists of resistant limestone breccias, was cut off from Ancient Mackinac Island or the turtle’s back by the glacial melt waters of Lake Algonquin. It was said to be the home of Gitchie Manitou. Sugar loaf rock appears to have been used as a site of ritual burials and inhumations.
Lily Festivel Celebrating Mackinac’s lilac collection began in 1949 after a talk with Evangeline “Ling” Horn, Nurse Stella King and Mackinac island carriage tours veterinarian Dr. Bill Chambers. The idea was to bring people to the island to enjoy a great horse drawn parade and the lovely lilacs the fragrance the island in June. What one day event called the Mackinac island Lilac day has blossomed into a ten day festival. There is a Lilac Festival Queen and her court are selected from the student body at the Mackinac island public school. The opening ceremonies for the festival commemorate our Queens of the past passing the crown to the new queen each season.
Fudge Festival <ul><li>Fudge Festival from August 22 nd to the 23 rd of August. For more than a century, Mackinac Island’s fudge has been and institution that has become famous all over the world. About 10,000 pounds of creamy fudge are made each season. Fudge is made by pouring liquid ingredients onto large marble slabs for hand working. Mackinac island’s fudge is the best fudge in the United States. </li></ul>
Historic Downtown Historic Downtown was one of the most common places to trade furs and make a business in the fur trade. John Jacob Astor reestablished his American fur Company after the war of 1812, which aided him greatly in becoming America’s first millionaire. In Historic Downtown McGulphin house was thought to be the oldest house in Michigan’s oldest existing structure and Mission Church.
Historic Mill Creek Dicovery park In the beginning, when Dr. Eugene Petersen, the first director of MSHP. He created the fort Mackinac museum 50 years ago this year, and it held true when Dr. David Amour, previous MSHP deputy director. He assisted in the reconstruction of Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park, which opened for the first time to the public in 1984 as Old Mill Creek. The new adventure tour, consisting of a park naturalist guided tour across the Forest Canopy Bridge and then down the Eagle’s Flight Zip Line, offers an exciting natural adventure. Guests will learn about the parks many plant and animal species during an exhilarating experience.
British Landing <ul><li>British Landing is a small hamlet located within Mackinac Island, Michigan. The hamlet is located on the shore of Mackinac Island, 2 miles (3km) north of the island’s town and harbor. British Landing is the site of a war of 1812 amphibious operation on June 16-17, 1812, by a joint force of the British Army and their allies among the Native Americans and indigenous people of Canada. The operation led directly to the surrender of Fort Mackinac by U.S Army. </li></ul>
Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse History <ul><li>For 65 years, four generations of lighthouse keepers and their families lived at Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse and helped to ensure the safety of vessels in the straits of Mackinac. Established in 1889, the stations fog signal went into operation in 1890 and the lighthouse unnecessary, and it was decommissioned in 1957. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the property in 1960 and incorporated it into surrounding Michilmackinac State Park. It served as the gallery building for Michilimackinac Maritime Park form 1972 to 1990. Restoration of the property to its circa 1910 appearance has been underway since 2000 and the lighthouse reopened to the public in 2004. </li></ul>
Mackinac Island <ul><li>Mackinac island is the “all natural” theme park of America. It is limited to transportation of horse and buggy, bicycle or foot, surrounded by water. It has escaped the vast changes of time. There are only permanent residents and scores of summer residents, maintaining good cottages in orignal state. Mackinac island is one of the ten finest state parks in America. </li></ul>