HISTORICAL OF FURNITURE
● Trends in furniture design have evolved alongside societies, the
materials they had access to, and advancements in technology.
● Has a variety of characteristics to apply to furniture to determine the
date in which it was made.
DEFINITION OF FURNITURE
● For the movable objects intended to support various human activities
such as seating and sleeping.
● Furniture is also used to hold objects at a convenient height for work
(as horizontal surfaces above the ground), or to store things.
● Furniture can be a product of design and is considered a form
of decorative art.
● It can serve a symbolic or religious purpose.
● Furniture can be made from many materials, including metal, plastic,
● It can be made using a variety of woodworking joints which often reflect
the local culture.
TYPES OF FURNITURE
● cupboards, etc.
● Usually kept in a house or other building to make it suitable or
comfortable for living or working in.
● Two categories of furniture :-
a) Categorized by species: Furniture periods are
defined by the prevailing species of the time.
b) Categorized by century: Many furniture periods
span multiple centuries, but general design themes
can be attributed defined 100-year spans.
CLASSIFIED BY MATERIALS
Wood furniture: the material include raw wood ,malamine blockboard MDF
solid wood refers to the plywood and paticle boards and etc.
● Cany furniture : materials include bamboo ratten straw even hay
● Matal furniture :materials include iron plate aluminium composite panel
and stainless steel .and etc.
● Glass furniture :materials include glass and glass fibre reinforced plastic .
● Plastic furniture:: materials include plastic It processed by mould .
TYPE OF WOOD MATERIALS
1. Age of Oak
i) Oak was the predominant species used for most pieces.
ii) These are massive, sturdy pieces, such as huge four-poster beds,long
rectangular tables with bulbous turned legs connected by stout stretchers,
benches for general use, and joined (as opposed to turned) chairs made
for important people.