• We the people of India, having solemnly resolved to constitute
India into a (Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic, Republic)
and to secure to all its citizens.
• Justice, social, economic, and political
• Liberty of thoughts, beliefs, faith, and worship.
• Equality of status and opportunity to promote among them all
• Fraternity assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and
integrity of the nation.
• In our constituent assembly, this 29th day of 1949, November do
hereby Adopt, Enact and give to ourselves this constitution.
• THE FOUR COMPONENTS OF THE PREAMBLE:
• 1. The preamble indicates that the source of authority of the constitution
lies with the people of India.
• 2. It declares India to be a Socialist, Secular, Democratic, and a Republic
• 3. It states its objectives to secure Justice, Liberty, Equality to all citizens,
and promote Fraternity to maintain unity and integrity of the nation.
• 4. It mentions the date ( November 26, 1949) on which the constitution
• The preamble to the constitution set out the philosophy on which the political
system of our country rests.
• It establishes the main objectives of the Indian constitution.
• The preamble is normally known as - " The Preface or Introduction to the
Constitution" or " The Key to Open Constitution". Which contains the spirit
or the essence of the constitution.
• Constitution of America was the first Constitution in the world being with a
• The preamble of the Indian constitution is based on the objective resolution,
drafted and moved by Jawaharlal Nehru on 13th December 1946 and
passed by the constituent assembly.
• The preamble serves as an introduction to the constitution.
• It was amended by the 42nd amendment act, 1976.
• Which determined to constitute India into a Sovereign, Socialist, Secular,
• It secures Justice, Liberty, Equality to all the citizens of India, and promote
Fraternity among the people.
• THE KEYWORDS IN THE PREAMBLE ARE EXPLAINED BELOW:
• 1. SOVEREIGN: The preamble proclaims that India is a sovereign state.
Sovereign means that India has its own independent authority and it is not a
dominion or dependent state of any other external power. The legislature of
India has the powers to enact laws in the country subject to certain limitations
imposed by the constitution.
• 2. SOCIALIST: The word "Socialist" was added to the preamble by the 42nd
constitutional amendment act in 1976. Socialism means the achievement of
socialist ends through democratic means.
• India has adopted Democratic, Socialism. Democratic Socialism holds faith in a
mixed economy where both the private and public sectors co-exist side by side.
It aims to end Poverty, Ignorance, Disease, and Inequality of Opportunity.
• 3. SECULAR: The word "Secular" was incorporated in the preamble by the
42nd constitutional amendment act in 1976. The term secular in the
constitution of India means that All the religions in India get equal respect.
Protection and support from the state. ARTICLES(25 TO 28) in Part-3 of the
constitution guarantees Freedom of Religion as a Fundamental Right.
• 4. DEMOCRATIC: The term "Democratic" indicates that the constitution has
established a form of government that gets its authority from the will of the
people expressed in a democratic country.
• The preamble resolves India to be a democratic country.
• The means, the supreme power lies with the people.
• 5. REPUBLIC: In a republic, the head of state is elected by the people
directly or indirectly. In India, the president is the head of the state.
• The president of India is elected indirectly but the people, that means
through their representatives in the parliament and the state assemblies.
• Moreover, in a republic, the political sovereign is vested in the people rather
than a monarch.
• 6. JUSTICE: The term in the preamble embraces three distinct forms:
Social, Economic, and Political secured through various provisions of
Fundamental Rights(FR) and Directive Principle Of Sate Policy (DPOSP)
• 7. LIBERTY: Liberty implies the absence of restraints or domination on the
activities of an individual such as freedom form Slavery, Imprisonment, etc.
The preamble provides for the liberty of thought, Expression, Belief, Faith,
• 8. FRATERNITY: Fraternity means the Feeling Of Brotherhood. The
preamble seeks to promote fraternity among the people assuring the dignity
of the individual and the unity and integrity of the nation.
• AMENDMENT IN THE PREAMBLE:
• In 1976, the preamble was amended (only once to date), by the 42nd
Constitutional amendment act.
• NEW TERMS: Socialist, Secular, and Integrity were added.
• PREAMBLE: with the words 'Socialist', 'Secular', 'Integrity' were added in
42nd amendment act,1976.
THANK YOU FOR WATCHING.