1. Elements of an Effective Planning System
C P Rijal, PhD in Leadership
Academic Advisor and Head of Research and Development
Nepal College of Management
In Affiliation with
Kathmandu University, School of Management
2. Elements of an Effective Planning System
Frankly speaking, study of management science is
a more pragmatic discourse.
In this respect, planning as an integral component
of management process, also should be thought
Since last two years, I have been evaluating a
number of business and institutional
development focused project plans using a set of
pre-determined benchmarks that are partly
developed to examine the effectiveness of project
planning and development. [go to next slide]
3. Elements of an Effective Planning System
Effectively crafted planning system should reveal the following elements:
1. A quick review of organization’s strategic thrusts to align the plan in line
2. Objectives, goals and expected outcomes of planning is precisely
communicated. [input-process-output-outcomes chain]
3. Necessary arrangements for sub-plans is made on need basis.
4. Time lines of different activities of implementation plan is incorporated
in the planning document
5. Anticipated costs are established and sources of funding are confirmed.
6. Required system design, technology and other resources are estimated.
7. Guidelines for monitoring, supervision, measurement and evaluation of
performance has been established.
8. Mechanism for effective control is established.
9. Issues concerning sustainability need be addressed.
10. Corresponding issues of compliance are addressed.
11. Supporting data are provided in appendices on need basis.
12. Acknowledgements are made for needful support received and expected
to be received from different agencies in the process of planning and
4. Of course, every plan, no matter for whatever the
purpose be, needs these elements to be
incorporated to make it more effective.