Personality - Definition
A persistent set of characteristics, qualities, and traits that taken
together form a unique person
We should think of personality as the sum total of the ways an
individual reacts to and interacts with others.
Personality - Determinants
Heredity versus Environment
Research – Heredity v/s Environment
Pair of twins separated at birth -
Household 1 Household 2
50% personality similarities found in twins separated at birth and raised apart
This is not that
personality does not
has shown that
personality is more
more stable among
Personality traits - Definition
Characteristics that are exhibited in a large number of situations, are called as
personality traits of that person
Personality tests are useful in hiring decisions and help managers forecast who is best for a
Many of our behaviors stem from our personalities, so understanding the components of
personality helps us predict behaviour.
• The respondent might lie or practice impression management to create a good impression.
• Another problem is accuracy; a candidate who is in a bad mood when taking the survey may
have inaccurate scores.
• The Big Five Personality Model
The Big Five Personality Model
• Five traits do a very good job of predicting how people behave in a
variety of real-life situation
• Big Five factors
The Big Five Personality Questionnaire - sample
• Trait theory
• Psychodynamic theory
• Humanistic theory
Other major personality attributes influencing OB
• Locus of Control
• Endomorph, mesomorph and ectomorph
• Type A and type B behavior
• Refers to the underlying values, beliefs, and codes of practice that
make a community what it is.
• Seven dimensions of organizational culture
• Innovation and risk-taking
• Attention to detail
• Outcome orientation
• People orientation
• Individual versus team orientation
Creating and Sustaining a Culture
• How a culture begins
• Keeping a culture alive
• Selection practices
• Top management actions
• Socialization methods
• A boundary-defining role
• Conveys a sense of identity for organization members
• Facilitates commitment to something larger than individual self-
• Enhances the stability of the social system
• Sensemaking and control mechanism that guides and shapes
employees’ attitudes and behavior - defines the rules of the game.
Culture as a liability
• Barrier to Change
• Barrier to Diversity
• Barrier to Mergers and Acquisitions
HOW EMPLOYEES LEARN CULTURE
• Ceremonies, Rites and Rituals
• Stories and Myths
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.