O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
CH099A Winter 2013 Kutai + Neumann Name _Final Exam ch 1-8, 13.6, 13.8 REVIEW For free response, show your set-up and use units. Be mindful of significant figures. For problems involving dimensional analysis, no discrete calculations are permitted. FREE RESPONSE ANSWERS MUST BE ON TEST COPY. SCRAP PAPER WILL NOT BE GRADED.PART I FREE RESPONSE. 1. A medium-sized dog typically eats 0.350 kglkg of body weight. What quantity of food, in grams, would a 55-lb dog eat? (1 lb = 453.6 g) 2. Write names for the following chemical formulas. e) H2P04 (aq) f)PbO 3. Write chemical formulas for the acids that produce each of the following ions. Write the chemical name of the acid in the second blank space. lop
4. Write chemical formulas for the following compounds. a) iodous acid b) strontium acetate c) tungsten (II) dichromate d) flourine e) hydrosulfuric acid £) bromic acid5. Calculate the number of sodium ions in a 3.00- g sample of Na3N?6. Upon analysis, a Vitamin C, with a molar mass of 176 grams is found to contain 40.9% C, 4.60% H and the rest O. a. Determine the empirical formula of the compound. b. Find the molecular formula of the compound. 2of7
7. Calculate the mass of S.40 x 1022 molecules of PclS.8. Balance the equations:; Classify the reactions represented by equations a in the blank to the right of the equation. a. ___ NH3 b.9. Predict the products. Remember states of matter. Balance. Classify. Syntheisis (SYN), Decomposition (DEC), Single Replacement (SR), Combustion (COMB). If Double Replacement, classify more specifically as precipiation (DR-P), acid-base neutralization (DR-N), or gas evolution (DR-GE). a. Li (s) + __ AgCl04 (aq)-- b. NH4C03 (aq) + __ Ca(OH)2 (aq)-- e. Hl(aq) + __ F2 (g) ~ d. __ HCl(aq) + __ Rb(OH>2(aq) ~ 30f7
10. 90.0 g of Cu are combined with 30.0 mL of 9.0 M HN03, according to the reaction 3Cu (s) + 8HN03 (aq) ~ 3Cu(N03)2 (aq)" 2NO (g)+ 4H2 (g) How many grams of NO could be produced? What is the theoretical yield? _ Identify the limiting reactant. If the percent yield is 92%, what is the actual yield? Calculate how many grams of excess reactant remain?11. Perform the following operation: 3.43 em x 5.2 em. Make sure that your answer has the correct number of significant figures.12. Round off the measurement 417.10 g to three significant figures.13. What is the temperature 198 K expressed in degrees Celsius?14. What is the sum of 6210 L and 3 L expressed in the correct number of significant digits?15. What is the volume of an object with a density of 8.03 g/cm3 and a mass of 6.00 x 102g? 4of7
16. In a certain experiment 25.0 g of NaCN (molar mass = 49.01) was produced from 40.0 g of N2 and an excess of other reactants using the reaction Na2C03 + 4C + N2 -+ 2NaCN + 3CO What is the percent yield of NaCN?17. How many grams of H20 (molar mass = 18.02) can be produced from 20.0 g of H25 (molar mass = 34.08) and 40.0 g of 02 (formula mass = 32.00) using the reaction 2H25 + 3 02 ~ 2502 + 2H20 How much excess reactant remains? 50f7
PART n MULTIPLE CHOICE. 1. Which statement contains an exact number? A) The population of Rockville is 62,000. B) My dog weighs pounds. q My hand has 5 fingers. D) Andrea is 5 I" tall. 2. Which of the following measurement was made using the most precise ruler? A) 7,0105 em B) 70.1 em C) 0.70 em D) 6.989 em 3. The distance from New York City to Washington, DC is approximately 235 miles. Identify the correct solution map to convert from miles to kilometers using the prefix multipliers and the given conversion factors: 1 mile = 5280 ft; 1 ft = 12 in; 1 in = 2.54 em. 1 ft 12 in 1 inl 10-2 em 1 km A) 235 m ilex x--x x x--- 5280 mile 1 ft 2.54 em 1m 103 m ·1 5280 ft 1 ft 2.54 in 1m 103 km B) 235 mlex x--x---x x--- 1 mile 12 in 1 ft 10-2 em 1m C) 5280 ft 12 in 2.54 em 10-2 m 1 km 235 m ilex x--x x x--- 1 mile 1 ft 1 in 1 em 103 m D) 235 mile x 12 in x 1 in x 10-2 em x 1 km 1 ft 2.54 em 1m 103 m E) 235 mile x 1 2 in x 2.54 em x 1m x 103 km 1 ft 1 in 10-2 em 1m 4. Which of the following conversion can be used to change kilomoles to nanomoles? A)( lkmol )X(109nmol) B) (1000mol)X(109nmol) 1000 mol 1 mol 1 kmol 1 mol q ( 1 kmol ) x ( 1 mol ) D) (1000 mOl) x ( 1 mol ) 1000 mol 109 nmol 1 kmol 109 nmol 5. Determine the answer to the following equation with correct number of Significantfigures: (4.123 x 0.12) + 24.2 = _ A) 25 B) 24.695 q 24.70 D) 24.7 E) none of the above 6. How would the rate 60 m/s be expressed in km/hr? A) 21 600 krn/hr B) 216 km/hr C) 2.16km/hr D) 0.216 km/hr E) 0.002 16 km/hr 7. Gallium has a melting point of 30°C and boiling point of 2403"C. At which temperature will gallium be a gas? A) -25°C B) 25°C q 250°C D) 2500 °C 6of7
8. How many protons, electrons, and neutrons does an atom with an atomic number 50 and a mass number 120 contain? A) 50 protons, 50 electrons, and 70 neutrons B) 70 electrons, 50 protons, and 50 neutrons C) 120 neutrons, 50 protons, and 70 electrons D) 70 neutrons, 70 protons, and 50 electrons 9. Using the periodic table, determine the number of neutrons in 160. A) 160 B) 8 q 124 D) 26 E) 6110. The mass number of an element is equal to __ . A) the total number of electrons in the nucleus B) the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus C) less than twice the atomic number D) a constant number for the lighter elements11. Which of the following sets of symbols represents isotopes of the same element? A) 91 92 93 42J 42 J 40 J E) 58Z 60 62Z 59 30Z 3112. If you were recording the vo lume of liquid in the pipet dLctedo what volume would you record (to the correct number of significant figures)? I i 4.6 A) 4.557 mL B)4mL q 4.56mL D)5mL E) 4.6mL13. A hypothetical element, Rz, has two isotopes: 169Rz = 168.94 amu and 171Rz = 170.98 amu. Eleven of every fifteen atoms of Rz found in nature exist as the 169Rz isotope. What is the average atomic mass of the element Rz? A) 169.48 amu B) 168.95 amu q 170.56 amu D) 171.01 amu E) 169.99 amu 7of7
14. Which of the following statements about chemical formulas is FALSE? A) The subscripts represent the relative number each type of atom in the compound. B) The subscripts represent the relative mass of each type of atom in the compound. C) The subscripts do not change for a given compound. D) Different compounds made of the same elements have different subscripts. E) All of the statements are true.15. How many total atoms are in the formula AI2(C03h? A)8 B)9 C) 12 D)14 E) none of the above16. What is the total number of 0 atoms in 6 formula units of hydroxyapetite, CalO(P04)6(OH)2, present in tooth enamel? A) 156 B) 144 C) 106 D) 88 E) 9617. What is the formula mass of sulfurous acid? A) 82.08 amu B) 98.08 amu C) 83.09 amu D) 66.08 amu E) none of the above18. Which one of the following elements occupies position period 2 and group VA in the periodic table? ~B ~& C)P ~~ mN19. What is the mass percent of carbon in oxalic acid, H2C204? A) 2.24 B) 13.3 C) 26.7 D) 34.5 E) none of the above20. How many moles of bromine gas are in 37.7 grams? A) 0.236 B) 0.472 C) 3.01 x 103 D) 79.9 E) none of the above21. How many atoms are in 15.6 grams of silicon? A) 2.64 x 1026 B) 3.34 x 1023 C) 0.555 D) 438 E) none of the above 8of7
22. What is the value of n when the empirical formula is C3H5 and the molecular mass is 205.4 g/mol? A) 0.02 B) 5 q 10 D) 140 E) none of the above23. Which of the following statements about empirical formulas is incorrect? A) An empirical formula represents a molecule. B) An empirical formula gives the smallest whole number ratio of each type of atom in a molecule. C) An empirical formula must be multiplied by an integer to obtain the molecular formula. D) The molecular formula can be the same as the empirical formula in some situations. E) All statements are correct. I24. A 15.5 gram sample of diphosphorous pentoxide contains how many grams of phosphorous? A) 3.38 B) 1.69 q 6.76 D) 13.5 E) none of the above25. How many moles of fluorine are in 3.2 moles of xenon hexafluoride? A) 22.4 B) 12.8 q 19.2 D)16 E) none of the above26. What is the mass of 1.56 x 1021 atoms of magnesium in grams? A) 4.72 x 10-5 B) 0.0630 q 0.142 D) 1.07 x 10-4 E) none of the above27. If a mixture containing 5 moles of N2 and 12 moles of H2 is allowed to react according to the equation A) NH3 is the limiting reactant. B) N2 is the limiting reactant. C) H2 is the limiting reactant. D) 2 moles of NH3 can be produced. E) Both B and D are correct. 90f7
28. To make 50.0 mL of 2.45 M KCl, mass the following quantity of salt A) 9.13, then fill flask with deionized water to a volume of SO.OmL. B) 1.52, then add 50.0 mL of deionized water. C) 91.3, then add SO.Og of deionized water. D) 0.123, then fill flask to a volume of 50.0 mL E) none of the above29. How many liters of a 2.18 M solution can be made from 200.0 g K2S? A) 0.832 B) 1.81 q 0.252 D) 1.20 E) none of the above30. What are the ion concentrations in a 0.12 M solution of AICl3? A) 0.36 M Al3+ ions and 0.12 M 0- ions B) 0.12 M A13+ions and 0.040 M 0- ions q 0.12 M Al3+ ions and 0.36 M 0- ions D) 0.040 M A13+ions and 0.040 M 0- ions E) none of the above31. What is the molarity of a solution prepared by dissolving 54.3 g of Ca(N03)2 into 355 mL of water? A) 0.331 M B) 0.932M q 0.117 M D) 1.99 M E) none of the above32. What is the concentration of sodium chloride in the final solution if 25.34 mL of 0.113 M BaCl2 completely reacts and the total volume of the reaction is 110.4 mL, given the reaction: A) 0.226 B) 0.0259 q 0.0519 D) 0.667 E) none of the above33. How many grams of barium sulfate are produced if 25.34 mL of 0.113 M BaCl2 completely react given the reaction: A) 5.90 B) 26.3 q 1039 D) 0.668 E) none of the above 10of7
34. 15.00 mL of 0.425 M H2S04 solution is required to completely neutralize 23.9 mL of KOH solution. What is the molarity of the KOH solution? 2 KOH(aq) + H2S04(aq) - K2S04(aq) + 2 H20(1) A) 1.75M B) 0.988 M q 0.614M D) 0.533M E) 0.186M 35. What volume, in liters, of 0.150 Ba(OH)2 solution is needed to react completely with 0.200 L of a 0.300 M HN03 solution according to the equation Ba(OH)2 + 2HN03 ~ Ba(N03)2 + 2H20 A) 0.150 L Ba(OH)2 B) 0.200 L Ba(OH)2 q 0.300 L Ba(OH)2 D) 0.600 L Ba(OH)2 E) 0.250 L Ba(OH)2PART III FREE RESPONSE. 1. What is the difference between a scientific law and a theory? 2. Identify five examples of matter and five examples of nonmatter. 3. Explain what is meant by a substance. Give an example. 4. Is there any difference between the chemical properties of water that has been boiled and then condensed and the chemical properties of water that has been frozen and then thawed? 5. What is the difference between a solution and a mixture? Give an example of each. 6. Give five examples of heterogeneous mixtures and five examples of homogeneous mixtures. 7. Explain the difference between an element and a compound. 11 of7
8. Discuss the difference between physical changes and chemical changes. Use an example to illustrate the difference. 9. State the law of conservation of mass. Apply the law to the answering of this question: What would be the total mass of the products of a reaction in which 10 grams of water (H20) decomposes into the elements hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (02)?10. Describe the rules that are used to determine the number of significant figures in the results of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. 12of7