4. Present Time Electric Vehicles
● Electric cars come as first example of
Electric Vehicles in our mind.
● E-Rickshaws have been quite a
success in India and are used in many
● Electric Engines have been proven as
more efficient and economical than
● The Space Vehicles (satellites, rovers,
spacecrafts) also use electricity.
∎ Lesser Air and Noise Pollution
∎ Provide higher torque and don’t need
∎ Mechanically very simple and often
achieve 90% energy efficiency over the full
range of speeds and power output.
∎ Lesser maintenance and running costs.
● Electricity used by EVs are generated
through non-renewable sources.
● Charging time for EVs is much more
than refuelling time.
● Cost and carbon emission to
manufacture EVs are more than
● Separate infrastructure is required.
● Risk of fire if Lithium ion batteries of
Electric Cars are overcharged.
∎ Cars like Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S have proved that Electric Cars too can be
∎ The EVs have been proved to be useful in Public Transportation Systems and Space
∎ Increasing fossil fuel prices specify a need for EVs.
∎ Improvements in technology will improve various concerns related to EVs.
∎ Several countries are promoting Electric Cars by establishing various grants and tax credits
for purchase of new electric cars.