1. Pressing is the application of heat, moisture and pressure
maintaining actual time to give shape, mold, or crease on
fabrics, garments, or garment parts into the geometric
forms. Pressing is done for making the fabric smooth or to
give it a perfect form. It is an important finishing process in
apparel industry. Pressing or ironing is done during
assembly or as a final finishing process.
3. The garments are different types, especially, different in design
and garments materials. The pressing of garments are five
categorized, designs and materials are given below:
1. No pressing:
Some garments are available; these are not need to pressing. Such
as, underwear, briefs, swimwear. These types’ garments are made
by knitted fabric.
2. Minimum pressing:
Some garments are available; these are not needed finishing done
by applying heat but no need pressing. Such as Night gowns
knitted T-Shirt, Leisure wear and so on. These types of garments
are pressing by steaming and by flowing dry air to the garments
and called minimum pressing
4. 3. Under pressing:
To do help for sewing easily and beautifully, it must need to give minimum
pressing to some parts of garments before sewing is called under pressing.
Specially, under pressing is done to most of the garments industries for
making coat, jacket, and trouser and so on. Sometimes, there is needed of
unpicking and again under pressing is done before sewing.
4. Final pressing:
These types’ garments are applying heat and pressing to the garments. This
is done after making of garments. This is generally done in jacket, trouser,
skirt and so on. Special type of pressing machine is used for final pressing.
5. Permanent pressing:
Permanent pressing is a special type of pressing, when it is given to retain
the shape of garments or special conditions. Such as, dart and pleat, which
cannot be displace or drawn-off after washing of garments again and
again. This type of pressing is done by applying high temperature and steam,
sometimes, there is needed for pressing.
5. The main aim of garment pressing is to increase the adornment of the
garments. Also, the following are the key objects of garment pressing:
• Removal of unwanted creases and crinkles:
Different types of unwanted creases and crinkles are happened during
making of garments. It may be forms due to the washing of garments. To
remove these unwanted creases and crinkles from the garments, pressing
or ironing is done.
• To apply creases where necessary:
Sometimes, it is applied creasing effect to the garments to increase the
beauty of that garments. Also, this is done before sewing to increase the
beauty and proper sewing to the garments. These creases are applied by
Dart and seam are use to the garments for proper shaping to the wearer.
To increase the beauty and attractiveness of created shape by using dart
and seam is done by pressing. Sometimes it needs to shrink or stretch of
garments parts for shaping, generally, pressing machine consists of a
special type of bed is used for pressing.
6. Pressing is a very essential finishing process in garment
industry. By pressing unwanted creases and wrinkles are
removed from the garments and as well as appearance of
garments become well. The garments may be different in
types, especially, different in design and garments materials.
As a result, it needs different types of pressing for different
types of garments and need different types pressing machine.
There are different types of pressing marching or equipment
are using are given below:
7. • At the ancient period, a small case,
• made by iron in which the heated coal
• and wood is used by burning and the
• garments are pressed by the
• lower smooth surfaces of case.
• At present, these coal and wood are
• replaced by electricity and this eclectic iron is widely used in household purpose.
• To control the temperature of electric iron, it is needed to control the regulator.
• For updating and to do easy, Iron is heated by supplying steam to the steam Iron.
• The steam inlet and outlet is controlled by a controlling switch provided in the
• For steam Iron, special air suction bed is used to control the unexpected crease on
• This is triangular in shape and weighted from 1 to 15 kegs.
8. This contains a static buck and
a head whose are shaped with each other.
The fabric is placed on the buck
and the head is placed then on
it and pressing is done by applying
heat and pressure.
The ironing bed is made by spreading
the layers of fabrics on the buck which is placed in a frame.
There is provided air suction and steam flow system through the
The table is placed around the buck on which fabric is placed.
9. This type of garments finishing machine is
known as puffer or dolly press.
The dolly press contains a frame which
contains form and the steam and compressed
air are flowed by pipe through the form.
The pressing form is generally made by heavy
There is no sleeve and the usable form size is
made according to the size of body of garments.
Steam and air are supplied for a predetermined time by using a timer.
Normally 8 seconds for steam supply and next 8 seconds for hot air supply.
This type pressing is used for pressing T-shirts, jeans, pants, blouses, and
sportswear and so on.
10. In this process garments are
pressed without any pressure.
Garments are hung on hanger
and pushed into a tanner containing
separate chamber through a running rain.
Garments are heated on first chamber
and unexpected crease is removed from fabric by relaxation and
Garments are dried by hot air in the 2nd chamber.
This type of pressing is used for pressing T-shirts and knitted wears.