● the teaching of children in a manner that will help
them develop moral reasoning and cognitive
development, life skills education, health education,
violence prevention, critical thinking, ethical
reasoning, and conflict resolution and mediation.
● Students might not be getting it at home.
● Creates positive school atmosphere.
● Students will become better adults.
● Improve inter-student relations.
Application In 21st century education
● Teaches students how to work together
● Encourages critical thinking.
● Self respect and self confidence.
● Better understanding of how people are
● Civics Class Middle School
● Activity: Working together.
● Each student in the class will be given their grade
for the assignment at the beginning of class. Grades
will be distributed unevenly amongst students. The
majority of students have to approve of the grades
for the assignment to end. Grades can be
redistributed amongst students to raise other students
● But they need permission or a supper majority vote
to take points away from another student. The will
be enough points for every student to have a C. If at
the end of class they have not approved a
distribution of grades then the class will have to
write an explanation on why they failed to come to
● The purpose of this assignment is to teach students
how to work together and the obstacles that can
Role of technology
● Videos and movies to dissect and understand
examples of different character aspects
● Simulation and video gaming to demonstrate
● Increased communication through social media.
● Lecture Harold Blanco
● Character education (ask)
● Why Character Education? by Laura Gurley on November 11, 2011