1. TOPIC: REFERENCE MATERIALS
DIRECTIONS:Identify the reference material that is being referred in each item. The number
after each reference material would indicate if how many times it is used as answer.
1. This is used when someone wants information about a person, place, or thing.
2. A ________can give you new choices for words instead of using the same words over
and over again.
3. The ________shows how a word is pronounced.
4. If you are looking for information about a topic for a report, the __________ is a good
place to start.
5. If you want to find a specific place, street, city, or state, use an ____________.
6. An_____________is a book of maps.
7. You will find the meaning of words in a ____________.
8. The ____________is a reference book full of statistics and unusual facts.
9. A book that has quick, current facts.
10. In a _____________you will find synonyms for words.
B. DIRECTIONS:Identify the reference material that you will use for each situation below.
A. Encyclopedia B. Dictionary C. Almanac D. Atlas
1. Where do I look to find:Bare facts and statistics about a country?
2. A chart giving the birth and death date of John Lennon?
3. If "shroud" is a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, etc?
4. A long detailed description of a country?
5. Events and progress of the previous year?
6. The locations of cities, states and rivers?
7. The plural form of a word?
8. Last year's winners of the Academy Awards?
9. The voting statistics for the previous year?
10. The longitude and latitude of Irwin, PA?
11. Information for a report on the Lewis & Clark Expedition?
12. How to pronounce the word "cygnet"?
13. Who was last year's winner of the Stanley Cup?
14. How and why the Library of Congress was started?
A. Author B. Title C. Subject/ Keyword D. Call Number E. Series Title
1. What type of search would you use to look for:Creech, Sharon
3. Polar Express
4. Series of Unfortunate Events, The
5. Artemis Fowl: the Eternity Code
6. Colfer, Eoin
7. 461.8 COL
9. 398.2 SAN
e encyclopedia (2) thesaurus (2) dictionary (2) atlas (2) almanac (2)
2. REFERENCE MATERIALS
A. DIRECTIONS:Fill in the blanks with the reference material describe.
encyclopedia atlas thesaurus dictionary almanac
1. _________________ is arranged in “volumes” and in alphabetical order. The topics
inside the volume are also in alphabetical order.
2. _________________ is used to know directions when they you are going on vacation or
travelling to another city or town.
3. _________________ is used when someone wants to find information about a person,
place, or thing.
4. _________________ is used when you do not know the meaning of a word in your
5. _________________ is used when you may need to find information on a place.
6. _________________ is used when you may want to find a specific place, street, road,
city, or state.
7. _________________ is used when you will find a list of words that mean the same
things as the word you looked up or the antonym of the word.
8. _________________ is used when you will find the definition and pronunciation of
B. DIRECTIONS:Give the reference material to be used in each situation.
1. My teacher has assigned a report on the country of Canada. I
need to find information on the history, climate, and products
made in Canada.
2. My family is planning a vacation to Disney World. I am so excited!
My father is trying to figure out what highways he needs to take to
get there from Pennsylvania.
3. Shannon is reading a book about whales for her science project.
She comes across a word she does not know.
4. I am writing a story about my winter vacation. I want to find
another word to use instead of saying “good.”
5. Jane is working on a research paper for her third grade class.
Her topic is the country of France. First, she must find out where
her country is located and some of the major cities in France.
6. Tracy is learning new vocabulary that goes along with her reading
story for this week. Her teacher has explained the words to the
class. Tracy would like to find another word that has a similar
meaning as one of the vocabulary words she is working on.
7. What would be the best resource to use if a question asked for the
pronunciation of a word?
8. What resource would you use to find the list of Academy Award
9. What would be the best resource to use if you needed to find the
location of Washington, D.C.?
3. 10. What would be the best resource to use if you wanted to know
more about computers?
11. What resource would be the best to use if you were asked to find
the longest river?
12. What would be the best resource to use if you wanted to know
more about Abraham Lincoln?
13. You want to know the location of the Mississippi River.
14. You would like to travel to Washington D.C. How can you find out
where this place is located?
15. You are working on a story about amusement parks. You have
used exciting over and over again. Where can you find a synonym
16. Your class is doing research papers on someone who has made
an impact on our country’s history. Where can you find information
about the person you chose for this report?
17. You are reading a chapter in your social studies book and you find
a word you do not know. How can you find the definition to the
18. This week’s spelling words are hard for you to understand. You
have already written the definition to the words. You believe that
by finding synonyms and antonyms for the words might give you a
better understanding of the definition. Where can you find
synonyms and antonyms for a word?
19. Tomorrow your class is going to be learning about the inventors.
Your teacher mentioned that Benjamin Franklin invented bifocals.
How could you find more information about Benjamin Franklin?
20. Your family is planning on taking a trip to the Florida Keys. You
would like to see how far it would be from Tennessee to the
Florida Keys. What reference material would you use to look at
21. You are learning about landforms and would like to find out what
an island is. Where would you look for the definition of an island?
22. You are trying to find out how far it is from your house to your
favorite park. Where would you look for this information?
23. Your teacher has assigned each person a continent to research.
Where would you find information about your continent?
24. You are participating in the spelling bee at your school. The
teacher says a word you do not know. When you ask her to give
you the definition where might the teacher get this information?
25. You are working on mountain language. One of the questions
asks you the opposite of a word. You do not know the opposite of
the word. Where can you find the antonym for this word?