1. ENGLISH LANGUAGE LESSON PLAN FOR SECONDARY SCHOOL
Date : 5th March 2012
Time / Duration : 8.15-08.50am (35 minutes) (single period)
Class : Form 2 Kappa
Number of Students : / Students
Language Proficiency : Low Intermediate
Background knowledge : Students have already been exposed to collective nouns
pronouns, and adjectives.
Theme : Environment and People
Topic : Grammar (Articles)
Language skill focus : Writing
Integrated skills : Speaking, Listening, Reading
Learning Outcomes : By the end of form 2, students should be able to:
1.0 Language For Interpersonal Use
1.1 Make friends and keep friendships by:
iii. Responding appropriately to questions by
stating, refuting and giving details.
1.2 take part in social interaction by:
vii. Making decisions with others to do something.
2. 2.0 Language For Informational Use
2.3 Presenting information to different audience by:
xviii. Writing description.
3.0 Language For Aesthetic Use
3.2 Express themselves creatively and imaginatively
iii. Composing simple sentences at a level
suitable to learners.
Learning Objectives : By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. Understand and respond to the teacher‟s
explanation on the part of speech –
„Articles‟ by giving appropriate verbal
2. Answer the fill in the blanks worksheet based on
the articles discussed with the teacher
3. Complete the questions pasted on the whiteboard by
writing down the correct articles in groups.
3. Moral Values : (a) Teamwork among students when doing group work.
(b) To generate students‟ critical and creative thinking
(c) Allow students to express their thoughts and encourage
communication among students and teacher.
Educational Emphasis : (a) Critical and creative thinking skill : students are able
to relate what they have learnt in the poem with real
life situations especially in the production activity.
(b) Multiple Intelligence skills (interpersonal): students
are thought to share and exchange ideas and
information with each other and thus encourage
cooperative and collaborative learning.
Resource Materials : (1) Explanation on articles on mahjong paper
(3) Marker pen, whiteboard and questions on articles.
4. STAGES OF A 3-PHASE LESSON PLAN
Stage / Content / Skills Teacher / Student Rationale / AVA
Stage 1 Skills 1. Teacher greets the Rationale
Presentation - Speaking class. 1. To give the student
(10 minutes) - Listening 2. Teacher brings warm-up session
a few realia into the
before the lesson.
Content class and shows them
2. Enable students to
Teacher‟s explanation to the students.
generate creative and
on the part of speech – 3. Teacher elicits the
Articles. students‟ opinions by critical thinking skills.
asking them to 3. To encourage
Questions: describe the realia. communication
1. Can you tell me 4. Teacher then between the teacher and
what am I discusses the activity
holding in my with the students and
right hand? brings them to the
2. Can you tell me topic of the day
what is on the which is
6. Teacher then explains
Eg: -an apple to the students and
-a book teaches them about
the part of speech – AVA:
Articles: “Articles.” -Explanation of
A „Articles‟ on
An mahjong paper.
The (Appendix 1)
5. Stage 2 Skills 1. Teacher gives each Rationale
Practice - Reading student a piece of 1. Allow students to think
(10 minutes) - Thinking “Fill in the blanks” critically in answering
worksheet based on the fill in the blanks
the part of speech- exercises.
Content articles that have been 2. To enhance students‟
Fill in the blanks below discussed earlier. understanding of the
with a, an, or the : 2. Individually, students articles learnt
are given seven earlier in the lesson.
1. I went shopping and minutes to complete
bought the worksheet given.
umbrella, 3. Teacher then AVA:
suitcase and discusses the
leather answers with the - Fill in the blanks
purse. students. worksheet
2. Irene says she has
story book back to
your younger sister.
Stage 3 Skills 1. Students are divided Rationale
Production into three groups with 1. To prompt students‟
(15 minutes) equal number of thinking skills.
- Reading members and 2. Enjoy learning English
teacher explains that through fun activity.
they are going to play 3. Allow students to think
a grammar game critically in using the
6. correct conjunctions to
Skills 2. Students are asked to combine the sentences.
sit together in their 4. Encourage students to
own groups. think imaginatively
3. Teacher pastes 3 sets and produce
of grammar question creatively.
on article on the 3. Allow student to share
whiteboard. their ideas to the
4. Teacher then explains whole class.
the rules of the game 4. Students learn to
where each group will cooperate in groups.
be given 10 5. Encourage cooperative
questions. and collaborative
5. Students must answer learning.
1 question each
person in their group
by writing down the
correct answer on the AVA:
6. Students may discuss - Questions read aloud
their answers with to students
their friends before (Appendix 3)
writing their answer - Marker pen
on the whiteboard.
7. Teacher discusses the
answers with all
students and for each
correct answer given,
students will be
rewarded 2 marks.
7. 8. The group with the
most marks wins the
game and is rewarded
by the teacher.
concludes the lesson
and asks students to
find any five pictures
from any magazines
and write down two
the pictures using the
correct articles as for
Follow-up activity : Students are asked to find any five picture from any
magazine and write down two sentences describing the
Supervisor’s comment :
8. Appendix 1
Explanation on the part of speech – Articles.
Conjunctions an, used to join words, phrases, or sentences.
Articles (a, are the)
1. We use ‘a’ before words beginning with a consonant sound or a vowel which sound like a
2. We use ‘an’ before a noun which starts with a vowel letter or sound. „a‟, „e‟, „i‟, „o‟, „u‟ are
3. We use ‘an’ before a noun which has a silent „h‟.
an honest man
9. We use ‘the’ for countable and uncountable nouns.
1. We use ‘the’ for a specific person, object, or place.
Abby will meet me at ‘the’ cinema.
2. We use ‘the’ when we speak of only one such thing.
‘The’ sun is hot today.
3. We DO NOT use „the‟ before the names of roads, streets, states, countries or towns.
Malaysia is a peaceful country.
10. Appendix 2
Fill in the blanks below with „a‟, „an‟ or „the‟ where necessary
1. I went shopping and bought umbrella, suitcase and leather
2. Sri says he has given story book back to your younger sister.
3. We always play basketball in morning during school holidays.
4. optician tests eyesight and sells spectacles.
5. Seelan wanted to be army officer.
6. Hamdan and his family lives in eastern part of Pahang.
7. Gomathy is ________ richest women in Kinrara 3.
8. Wan is _______ honest boy who never tells lie.
9. Ezekir went to ________ dentist for his tooth checkup.
11. Appendix 3
Fill in the blanks with ‘a’, ‘an’ or ‘the’ where necessary.
1. Monsoon Cup is held once _____ year.
2. _____ ducks are swimming in the lake.
3. I have toothache, so I went to _____ dentist.
4. I saw ______ old man eating burger.
5. Mr. Yap is at _______ petrol station.
6. Khirul is _____ businessman who sells cows and chickens.
7. I spent my holidays in ______ Sabah last year.
8. We looked everywhere for _____ toilet but we didn‟t find any.
9. Hidayah went fishing with _______ long fishing rod.
10. Arni met her mother ______ hour before lunch.