p. 91: Muckrakers
• Divide ACROSS the page for make 5 even rows
• Slides will change every 7 minutes, stay on
• Write the UNDERLINED prompt with your
• Use the TabbUShistory site to find links to your
A. Ida Tarbell
1. Look at the political cartoon (on the tabb
page), what is the artist trying to say about
Standard Oil? (Standard Oil and Rockefeller
were seen as….)
2. (use her name link)What was the subject of
her most famous piece of writing which was
published in 1904?
3. What was the result of her writing? (what
changes were made because of her writing?)
B. Jacob Riis
1. Use the Link “How the Other Half Lives”, flip
through the images. Describe one of the
images (what did Riis photograph)
2. Why did Riis (use his name link) write How
the Other Half Lives?
3. What were the results of Riis’ work? (what
changes were made because of his work?)
C. Jane Addams
1. What was the Hull-House(name link)?
2. Why is Addmas considered a philanthropist?
(look up this word if your don’t know it)
3. Look back at her early life (second link),
contrast her life with the life of other Hull
D. Ida B Wells
1. Summarize the excerpt from Wells’ 1900 piece
“Lynch Law In America”which is printed on the
tabb page (what was so frustrating to her?)
2. (name link-half way down the page) Why were
her friends killed in 1892?and what advice did
she give after their death?
3. Describe her work with Jane Addams:
4. Why do you think she disliked Booker T.
Washington? (you may need to look back at
E. Upton Sinclair
1. (name link) What was the main idea of his
book “The Jungle”?
2. Why was Upton unhappy about the public’s
reaction to his book?
3. What were some reforms that followed the
publishing of The Jungle?
4. Use the link “excerpt from The Jungle” and
summarize one atrocity from the meat
P. 90 Muckrakers Bumper stickers
• Extend the lines across (from p. 91)
• Create a bumper sticker that may be found on
the car of each of the individuals you studied