Coaching individuals and teams to encourage growth and personal development requires a growth mindset. Before they can begin coaching others, leaders must first identify whether or not they have the right mindset for success.
2. • It delivers individual and team performance improvements and
• Respondents in the 2013 CIPD Learning & Development Annual Survey
reported coaching to be the most effective activity for talent management.
When coaching for growth and development, we must begin with the right mindset:
4. You rely on natural ability
to achieve results
A fixed mindset is characterised by the following:
You focus on the
You prefer to stick to safe/tried
You see failure as a
negative, to be avoided
at all costs
5. A growth mindset is characterised by the following:
You are prepared
to take risks and make
changes in the pursuit
of improvement and
mistakes as an
opportunity to learn and grow
gaps in your
actively seek to
6. Most of us like to think we have a growth
mindset, but we may not even be
conscious of the ways in which we limit
well, we don’t
need to change
“We don’t want to
set our targets too
high, in case we
don’t hit them.”
Developing a growth mindset challenges us to look beyond the
limitations we apply to our decision-making process.
will never go
“It might not
work, so let’s stick to
the method we
know does work”“I can’t do that, I
“I tried something
similar before and
failed, so I know it
can’t be done”
7. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?
• increased market sector competition
• the loss of a key account
• developments/improvements in technology
• global recession!
Those with fixed mindsets are often unable to react fast enough.
Those with growth mindsets, however, are more resilient to
change and can survive even the most difficult challenges.
Even when things seem good, adopting a fixed mindset leaves you vulnerable to a
number of external influencing factors, eg;
8. How is your mindset impacting your performance?
Is your team/organisation’s collective mindset acting as a barrier to growth?
Now, ask yourself again
Do you have a fixed mindset or a growth mindset?
9. Find out more about Mindstrong’s coaching programmes:
• Executive Coaching
• One to One Coaching
• High Performance Team Coaching
• or for information about Growth Coaching for SME’s, visit our
In Part 2 of Coaching for Growth & Development, we look at the role the leader must play.