Security and Privacy of
amounts of data
Finding the right
WHAT ARE THE BUSINESS CHALLENGES
The Final Aim of Smart City
• To support better living, create more opportunities, support stronger
and more cohesive communities and improve the quality of life
overall for all residents
• To make a better use of the public resources
• Reducing the operational costs of the public administrations.
Cities are the engines for economic growth
But the development was not always “smart,”
sacrificing health conditions, for instance, for greater
Multiplier Effect of Economic Growth via
With greater use of technology, a number of cities are accumulating data,
delivering innovation, and enhancing lives of citizens.
BUILDING 3 TYPES OF CITIES
– the aim of rolling out smart city technologies is to
generate income which pays for its deployment and
more. There are many cities in the western
hemisphere which fall into this category, such as Los
– The aim here is to reduce the carbon footprint and
ideally become carbon neutral long-term. These are
mainly cities in Middle and Northern Europe, such as
Luxembourg, Helsinki, etc.
– Finally, “vanity” driven cities are mainly driven by
events where the entire world is watching and they
want to be perceived as “modern”
TO OVERCOME 3 KEY CHALLENGES
Only by addressing all three can organizations turn raw data into information
and actionable insights.
collection of data
Analyzing data to
MAKING SENSE OF DATA … BUT
WHAT CITY DATA?
THE GOLD RUSH
Answers to questions.
VALUE IS CREATED BY MAKING SENSE OF DATA
Empty (0), Full (1)
EXAMPLE - SMART PARKING
Who park at this lot?
What kind of vehicle?
Where is the empty parking lot?
When is the peak period?
How to implement a tiered charging?
How to find “overstayed” vehicles?
Why this parking area is not fully
Who Benefits? - Citizens / Parking Operators / City Council / Shops
The city would pay for access to
the light sensors in order to
decide when to turn on and off
the street lights
Gathering temperature, light,
pressure, humidity and
COMMERCIAL IOT SENSOR PROVIDER
A university may want access
to the pollution information for
research purposes for a limited
The weather department
would want the temperature
and pressure data
The street town council center
would want the temperature
and humidity data for
planning during rough
BENEFITS OF SENSING-AS-A-SERVICE
Smart City Agenda
For city leaders wanting to pursue a smart city agenda, citizen
inclusion is critical
As citizens turn smart so will the cities they inhibit.
Traffic Volume Maps
76% want sensors in streets, pavements and public areas to report how
crowded a street, shopping mall or park is.
THE RISE OF SMART CITIZENS
Citizens encounter good customer
service across government
SMART CITIZEN TOOLS
Open source and
Sensing the city Provide tools for
the citizens to
workings of the
Technology may help mitigate the “black hole” problem.
EMPOWER THE CITIZENS TO SENSE
GETTING INSIGHTS FROM
EMPOWER THE CITIZENS TO
SMARTPHONE AS YOUR “SENSING ASSISTANT”
① Camera – “Eyes”
② Audio – “Ears”
③ Accelerometer –
④ GPS – “Location”
⑤ Gyroscope –
⑥ Compass – “Direction”
⑦ Proximity –
⑧ Ambient light – “Eyes”
Crowdsourcing Via Crowdsensing
① Spatial – Location / Speed Orientation
② Temporal – Time / Duration
③ Environmental – Temperature / Light / Noise Level
④ User Characterization – Activity (Mobility Pattern) / Social (Friends, Interactions)
MAKING CITIES BETTER USING CITIZENS
SMART CITIZENS AND SENSORS
CONNECTING AND AGGREGATING
Sensors installed in
Devices located at
main entrance of
Guidance to free
Panels located at
Parks and Gardens
Sensors in green zones
• Car Presence
• Measure main traffic parameters
• Traffic volumes
• Road occupancy
• Vehicle speed
• Queue Length
• Taking information retrieved by the
deployed parking sensors in order to
guide drivers towards the available
free parking lots
• Moisture temperature
• Pluviometer (rain gauge)
• Anemometer (wind-speed)
• User generated feedback
with smartphones that help
to make cities better
1. What is the water level in the river?
2. When does the river swell up?
3. Where is the location of water rise?
4. Where are the areas that require immediate evacuation?
5. Who is contributing to the rise in water level?
6. How to control the water level?
7. How fast is the water rising?
8. Why is the water rising?
FLOOD – SENSORS & INFRA
1. Water level and weather sensors
2. Tide monitoring sensor
3. Astronomical data
4. GPS for rescue vehicles (Plug-n-Play OBD)
5. GIS data
7. Social network integration
FLOOD MONITORING – VALUE PROPOSITION
1. Early warning system for floods
2. Locating the area of violation (cause of floods)
3. Efficient rescue planning
4. Plan the widening of the river banks
5. Plan deepening of the river bed
6. Predict the conditions of flooding when coupled with a weather
station, astronomical, tide and GIS.
1. Who is collecting the garbage?
2. What is the status of garbage bin?
3. When was the garbage collected?
4. Where is the location of full bins?
5. How to plan the route of the trucks?
6. How many days till the next collection?
7. How much garbage is produced in an area?
8. Why is the garbage truck not picking up garbage?
9. Why is a particular area producing more garbage?
WASTE MONITORING – SENSORS & INFRA
1. Garbage level sensors on garbage bins
2. GPS on garbage trucks
3. Network infrastructure (WiFi, 3G)
WASTE MANAGEMENT – VALUE PROPOSITION
• Timely pickup of full garbage bins
• Efficient routing of the garbage trucks
• Violation of service agreement by the garbage collectors
• Plan for future dumping sites
• Predict the amount of garbage from an area
• Organize awareness programs to promote recycling
• Correlation can be derived to gauge the population in a particular
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.