O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
• On the Board of IKSHealth ( a Rakesh
Jhunjhunwalla company ) 10 years ago
• My daughter worked in impact investing
and did her MBA from Stanford
• Joined Mumbai Angels – an angel
• Now do it through my Family office,
Reinventing myself – learning
to become an angel investor
• Easier today, thanks to the internet !
• Share my experiences on LinkedIn. Have
140000 followers today
• Learn a lot daily
• Get to broaden my horizons – the world
is a fascinating place !
Angel investing will not make
me rich !
• Illiquid asset class. Need lots of patience
• 80% of startups fail
• Only invest money which you can afford
to lose without losing any sleep over
• Have realistic expectations !
• Too much hype
• Term sheets
• Focus on areas of agreement
• Use standard templates
• Find a startup friendly lawyer
• Only an idea, with no
• Hockey stick curve for revenue
• “ No competition”
• No skin in the game
• Too many buzz words, such as AI
Whom do I fund ?
• Need to fall in love with the
• LOI vs ROI
• Integrity, Curiosity, Humility
• Willing to teach – and to learn
• Paying customers
• Back the entrepreneur
• Soft corner for failed entrepreneurs
• Women entrepreneurs
• Social impact investing ( edutech
• Domain agnostic
After signing the cheque
• This is when the hard work starts !
• Need to be actively engaged
• Monthly MIS
• Governance and accounting
• Introductions to other investors and
• Help only when asked !
We support our startups
• Keep dry powder for follow on rounds
• Be available and accessible to provide help
• Introduce to customers and investors – be
their cheerleader !
• Help with recruiting and marketing
• Coach and mentor
• Keep the faith – startups need patience and
persistence to succeed.
Principles of angel
• Portfolio approach
• Power law applies
• Not a “ get rich quick” scheme –
do your homework !
• Join a network
• Read about angel investing.
Why I enjoy being an angel
• Makes you optimistic. More hopeful
about the future by connecting with
bright young ambitious entrepreneurs
• Can contribute to the next generation
• Helps you remain young because you
learn all the time
Why doctors make good angel
• Empathy ( as a clinical skill)
• Domain expertise in healthcare
• Brand ambassador and evangelist
• Lots of good will in the community
• Doctors in private practice are
• Become a better doctor too because
your business sense improves