7. Krungthep (1782 – 1990 B. C)
• Musical instruments were
constructed during the
time of King Rama IV.
• He patronized several
• He established a school of
• Most of the traditional
Thai melody has duple
• The melody is usually in 2
4 time signature.
9. Thai music is written in various genres
1. Ritual Songs
a. Suod – is the chanting of religious verses
that is used to worship spiritual and
b. Thes – is a ritual song that is performed
and is learned by memory. It can be used in
poetry reading, recitation, and speech.
10. 2. Entertainment Songs – this group of songs is
basically secular and is used to tell stories about
customs and traditions
a. Phleng klomdek – are nursery rhymes.
b. He ruea – is a boat song .
c. Sangkhara – is originally a beggar’s music.
11. Ensemble – is a small group of musicians playing
the same type of musical instruments
12. Orchestra – is a large group of musicians playing
different musical instruments