12. Parts of a seed-
1. Seed coat
3. Seed leaves or cotyledons
4. Baby plant
13. Depending on no. of cotyledons seeds are of two
1. Monocotyledonous seed- e.g. rice, wheat, maize
2. Dicotyledonous seed- pea, bean, mango
14. Dispersal of seeds-
The process of spreading seeds to different places is
called dispersal of seeds.
Agents of dispersal-
1. wind- such seeds have wing or hair like structures.
15. 2. Dispersal by water-
Such seeds easily float on water.eg. Coconut
3. Dispersal by animals- such seeds have hooks or
spines to stick with the body of animals.
4. Dispersal by explosion –
Such seeds disperse by explosion of fruits. Eg. poppy
16. Agriculture- growing of crops on large scale for food or
Crops- plants of a particular kind grown in a particular
How to get high- yield from crops-
1. Prepare the soil properly.
2. Use healthy and ripe seeds for sowing.
3. Add manure and fertilisers
4. Irrigate the soil well.
How are crops protected-
1. Use of insecticides and pesticides
2. Use of fungicides
3. Grazing animals can be kept away by proper
4. Store the grains in water-proof , insect-proof,