2. FIVE STAGE MODEL
Evaluation Of Alternatives
Post Purchase Decision
3. PROBLEM/NEED RECOGNITION
• Need can be triggered by internal or
• Internal stimulus like hunger and thirst
• External stimuli like someone
• Point of importance is to identify what
triggers the need
4. INFORMATION SEARCH
• Two levels for information search exist
1. Heightened attention where one becomes more
receptive to information.
2. Active information search
Point of importance is what are the major information
sources, which are of four categories:1. Personal : Friends, family , neighbour
2. Commercial: Advertising, salesman, packing
3. Public: Mass media, Consumer rating
4. Experimental: Handling & Examining the product
6. EVALUATION OF ALTERNATIVES
• The most recent model says that the judgements
are taken consciously and rationally which is
termed as cognitively oriented.
• Ask questions?
1. Do you want to satisfy a need
2. Are you looking for some benefit
3. What are the attributes that are being looked for?
**Beliefs and attitudes affects this process.
7. PURCHASE DECISION
• Sub-decisions have to be taken about:1. Brand
5. Payment Method
Timing and steps in the process depends upon the
product that needs to be purchased.
9. POST-PURCHASE BEHAVIOUR
• Performance less than expectation results into
• Performance as per the expectation leaves a
• Performance better than expected leads to a
Point of importance is that it will affect his future
decision making process.
10. POST-PURCHASE BEHAVIOUR
• Satisfaction or dissatisfaction may influence a
consumer’s subsequent behaviour.
• If its favourable it may lead to a repeat purchase.
• If dissatisfied the consumer may stop buying the
product (Exit Option) or warn people around (Voice
11. POST-PURCHASE BEHAVIOUR
:USE AND DISPOSAL
• Its important to calculate the consumption rate, i.e.
frequency of purchase.
• Profits come from sales and key driver of sales is
• Find the types of risk that a consumer takes while
making a purchase decision,.
• Find the intervening factors in a purchase decision.