O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
1 | P a g e
MADURAI CITY INFORMATION -GURU
MADURAI CITY -A RARE INFORMATION COLLECTION
CREATED BY -GURU CHARAN KUMAR
1. Madurai is guarded by 3 hills Yanamalai, Nagamalai & Pasumalai.This is unique about
the Madurai city.
2. Madurai is also known as KADAMBA VANAM, the district tree of Madurai as Madurai
was once full of Kadabam trees. The tree is located inside the Meenakshi Amman temple
south tower entrance
3. The Nandi which is situated at the back of the temple is one of the Asia’s biggest Nandi
statue in the sitting posture.
4. Tirumala Naicker Mahal is the biggest palace in Tamilnadu.Started in 1636A.D &
finished in 1642A.D. Only mahal in the world built without using girders. (Ceiling)
5. Thirumalainaicker Mahal is called as JUICE PALACE, because of the fact that only fruit
juices were used instead of water for construction. This is the only palace in the world to
be named so.
6. Gandhi Museum was the palace of Ranimangammal built in 1670AD in 13 acres.
7. Gandhi museum was opened on 15th April 1959 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
8. Madurai, in South India is the only place to have a Museum for Gandhi.
9. The blood stained shawl that Gandhi had been wearing when he was shot is displayed in
10. DATES & YEARS GANDHI VISITED MADURAI
March 26-28 ,1919 - To enroll volunteers for Sathyagraha in connection with
Sep 20-22,1921 - Gandhi changed to Join cloth forever in west masi street.
Sep 28- 30 ,1927 - For raising funds for khadi and spreading the message of
Jan 25-27 ,1934 -During his All-India Harijan tour with Takkar Baba &Mira Behn.
Feb 2-3,1946 – To worship Sree Meenakshi Amman.
11. Gandhi changed his attire to the loin cloth which earned him the title ‘Half Naked Fakir’
on 21st September 1921 in 175-A west masi street. This is the house where Gandhi
identified himself as one of the poor.
12. For the first time Gandhi appeared in loin cloth before the public in Madurai in a place,
now called GANDHI POTTAL.
13. In 3rd Feb 1946 Gandhi visited the Meenakshi Amman temple for the first time.
Meenakshi Amman Temple is the only temple in South India which Gandhi visited in his
14. Madurai Mariamman temple tank is the biggest tank in south India. It is a square tank of
16 acres. The tank is connected to river Vaigai through underground water channels. It
has totally 12 steps on each of the four sides.
15. ‘Teppothsavam’ festival is celebrated in every February on the occasion of Thirumalai
16. Other than French, Tamil is the only language in the world which has sangam and this
sangam is situated in Madurai.
17. Madurai is the only district in Tamilnadu having the names of Tamil months as the
names of streets.
2 | P a g e
MADURAI CITY INFORMATION -GURU
18. MADURAI GORIPALAYAM MOSQUE- This is Tamilnadu’s second oldest mosque.
19. In India the mud pot system was first introduced in Madurai railway station.
20. Vaigai originates in the Periyar plateau of the Western Ghats and flows through
Varusanad Hills towards the south.
21. Near Sholavandan, Vaigai bends to the southeast and enters into Madurai city.
22. JAIN CAVE TEMLPE- Evidences from Keelakuilkudi in Madurai show that Jain saints
had lived here and carved the mountains.
23. Hajeemoosa Saree Shop-This is South India’s first and oldest saree shop started in 1878
24. Madurai A.V.Bridge-This is one of the oldest bridges in Tamil nadu opened on Dec
6,1889 and named after a British Prince Albert Victor
25. Arappalayam-Arappalayam is mentioned in one of the 63 Thiruvilayaadalgal of lord
Siva. Arappalayam is called as "Pittukku Mann Sumantha Thiruthalam."
26. The house where M.S. Subbulakshmi (MADURAI SHAMGUMA VADIVU) was born is
located near the central cinema theater and she was born in Madurai sep 16, 1916.
27. Muthukaruppan Thiagarajar Chettiar Founder of Thiagarajar Groups-In Madurai he
started South India’s first cotton mill in 1925 (Meenakshi Mill)
28. MADURAI CENTRAL CINEMA THEATRE- Tamil Nadu’s oldest theatre is the Madurai
central cinema built in 1932.
29. Madurai Abhirami Theatre- Madurai Abhirami theatre is the first theatre in south
India to introduce the DTS system.
30. MADURAI M.C. SCHOOL- In this place only Swami Vivekananda gave a speech to the
people of Madurai before he went to Chicago International Religious Conference.
31. LADY DOAK COLLEGE- This is south India’s first and oldest women’s college started in
32. Koodal Azhagar Temple-Only in this Sthalam, Periyalwar sang his great Thiruppallandu
and he got the title “PRATHYAKSHAM” of Sriman Narayanan.
33. ‘Velli Ambalam’. In Meenakshi Amman Temple an idol of Nataraja is seen. This idol of
Nataraja is covered with silver leaves. Hence this hall is named as Velli Ambalam .
34. Tamilnadu’s first employment office was started in Madurai.
35. Tamilnadu’s first Uzhavar Sandhai started was in Madurai.
36. India’s first remote traffic signal introduced in Madurai roads.
37. After Dihar jail, Madurai central prison is the only prison in India having electric current
in their compound walls.
38. Telephone service in Madurai was first utilized by (late)Sri.K Thiagarajar Chettiar, the
founder of Thiagarajar Groups, and number provided to him was '1‘.
39. First Tamil Number Plate was issued, in Madurai, to Mr. Tamilkudimagan (Late M.P.) in
1972 for his Royal Enfield Motorcycle Number.
3 | P a g e
MADURAI CITY INFORMATION -GURU
40. First Tamil Movie Trailer Show outside Chennai, a trailer of the movie BOYS, directed by
Shankar, was shown at the Ambika Theatre Complex, Madurai, on 18th July, 2003.
41. First time in the judicial history of India a witness examined by video conferencing on
17th July, 2003 in Madurai High court.
42. Bank of Madura was the first private bank in south India started in Madurai by
Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar in 1943
43. Manikkavasagar, a Tamil poet who wrote Tiruvasakam lived in Madurai
44. The oldest school in Madurai is M.C.Hr. Sec.School founded in 1856.
45. The Madurai Tamil Sangam has been publishing a Tamil monthly since 1903 called
46. The fifth Tamil conference was held in Madurai on Jan 4 -10 1981.
47. The Telecommunication service began in Madurai in the year 1921 with 92 connections.
48. The All India Radio Madurai station was started in 1987.
49. The first public park in Madurai is Rajaji Children’s park started in 1883.
50. The Largest public park in Madurai, Eco Park was opened in 2004.
51. Thirumalai Naicker Mahal was the first monument in Madurai announced as National
Monument by TAD