O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
What is gossip?
• I helped build log cabins in Idaho
• We had to strip the bark off the logs. Why?
• If the bark is on, insects can burrow there
• That causes the log to rot
• Eventually the log cabin will come down
Mountains can crumble
• In Seneca Rock,s WV there once was a
large rock cliff called “The Gendarme”
• Or take the “Man in the Mountain” in NH
• These were pinnacles, the main attraction
• Water seeps in, freezes, cracks, repeats
• Over time the entire monument collapses
from simple water and temperature
That’s how gossip is
• Gossip is like the little bug that crawls in
• Gossip is like a little bit of moisture
• We need to strip off its protection
• We need to keep the things dry and warm
• Otherwise, the little things can cause the
whole cabin or mountain to collapse
• The Bible has something to say about this!
• Can someone read Proverbs 18:8?
• Can some read Proverbs 26:22
• The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
they go down to a man's inmost parts.
Wait a minute!
• Why did you read the wrong verse?
• Truth is that verse is in the Bible twice!
• It must be important!
• Maybe because we are too busy gossiping
to hear this Word from the Lord
Gossip is yummy
• Gossip is fun and it sinks in really quick.
• It’s like eating candy.
• Just like candy can rot your teeth.
• Gossip can crack the foundation of
What I’ve Seen
• I’ve seen it take down whole,
large churches, just split them in two.
• I’ve seen the strong rock, the monuments
of men, come crashing down.
• I’ve seen the scattered ﬂock lose sight of
God when their churches collapsed.
How does gossip do this?
• It betrays conﬁdence!
• Proverbs 11:13
• A gossip betrays a conﬁdence,
but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.
• Proverbs 20:19
• A gossip betrays a conﬁdence;
so avoid a man who talks too much.
Someone to lean on
• In a church, you need to be able to conﬁde
in others so that you can be accountable
• If you tell someone you are struggling with
a sin, you don't want them announcing it.
• When there is no conﬁdence in the
church, sin can take root.
How to combat gossip?
• You need to “call it out” and strip off the
protection that lets it burrow.
• Don’t let others saybut so and so...”
“don't tell any one
• Allowing yourself to listengossip tolie you
are providing a haven for
your relationship and bring the house down
• Whether yours or the church
Stop bugs dead!
• Ephesians 4:29
• Doyour mouths,unwholesome talkhelpful for
not let any
but only what is
building others up according to their
needs, that it may beneﬁt those who listen.
• You don'twhat youstop encourages make
other and builds up others, especially in