3. WHAT IS A STRATEGIC PLAN?
• A written document mapping of the path to
• The “recipe” to achieve the vision and
• It’s the school’s voice
• Can be defined as a set of decisions about
what to do, why, and how to do it
4. WHAT IS A STRATEGIC PLAN?
• Provides the central point around which a
school community can focus and unite to
ensure that every child at the school can
get the best possible education.
6. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO PLAN?
• To examine the school’s values, current
status, and environment
• It’s the opportunity to discuss and articulate
the vision and mission of the school
• Ensures a path toward fulfilling the vision and
• More resources do not necessarily stand for
the best results. The way one uses these
resources can lead to different levels of
benefits and results
7. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO PLAN?
• Develops common vocabulary for all
• Engage the different stakeholders in a process
to determine appropriate long-term goals and
the specific objectives to achieve goals.
• Empowers stakeholders to feel in control of
the school’s future
8. BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
1. Situation Analysis
►Refers to analysis of current status, gaps and
internal and external environment and factors
that influence its existence and performance,
progress and sustainability and also the problems
and root causes of problems and possible
10. SWOT ANALYSIS
• A common, very effective tool used in brain
storming sessions to enhance stakeholder
participation in discussions and also it is an effective
tool in extracting very valuable views and opinions
• When analysis is completed a SWOT Profile can be
generated and use as the basis of goal setting,
strategy formulation and implementation.
11. 2. Defining The Future State
Building the MISSION AND VISION STATEMENT
◘Where it wants to be?
◘What it wants to do?
BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
12. BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
◘A vision statement tells us where we are going
◘Describes the ideals and values we represent
◘Paints a picture of the dreams and aspirations
◘ This statement describes what we want to achieve,
who we are, and how we will execute to achieve our
vision of the future
13. 3. DETERMINATION OF OBJECTIVES AND
►After the Mission and Vision has defined,
the school can now have a set of
objectives that will lead to the overall
strategic goal or vision.
BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
14. BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
►Evaluation is done to see if there’s a
need to readjust long-term objectives.
4. Implementation and Evaluation
► Constant monitoring and assessment
►Next step is to implement and evaluate the
plan. This step has different executions
depending on the goals a school wants to
15. ◘The following steps ensure that plans are
used to guide the work of the organization:
• managing the implementation of the plan,
• supervising the actual work,
• monitoring and reporting progress on the
• conduct assessments of its performance by
gathering and analyzing information;
• convene the planning group to review
performance and reassess goals,
outcomes, strategies, action steps
• make recommendations for changes
16. BASIC STRATEGIC PLANNING STEPS
►This stage starts the cycle over
again, allowing the plan to be
►This will keep the plan current and
meaningful to the organization.
17. WHAT SHOULD SCHOOL COUNCIL
The following questions are really important in the
strategic planning process:
•What is the school wanting our students to achieve?
•Where is the school now?
•What does the school need to do so that our
students can do better?
•How will the school make this happen? What
money or people will it need and how will it get
•How will we know if/when the school has been
• Get input from the community
• Leave off the rose colored glasses
• Consider the people issues
• Prioritize your strategic choices
• Be SMART
• Forget to consider how you will
resource your plan
• File your plan away and only look at it
once a year when reflecting on
• Create a set of “wish lists” – your plan
must be practical and do-able
• Crowd the plan with operational issues