O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Borcea is a commune situated in the eastern part of Călăraşi
County, Romania. It is one of the most populous communes in
the county and it is situated on the west bank of the Borcea
branch (a section of the Danube). The commune was formed as a
result of the administrative reform of 1968 by joining two
neighboring villages, Cocargeaua and Pietroiu. Today, it is
composed of two villages, Borcea and Pietroiu.
The oldest archaeological findings in
Borcea date from III-IV BC and consist of
ancient pottery, Macedonian amphorae
and a silver drachma issued by the
ancient city of Histria. The presence of
numerous archaeological evidence in
Borcea which originated from the Greek
colonies in Dobrogea lead to the
conclusion that between Getic
settlements that were strung along the
Borcea branch and the greek colonies
there were cultural and economic
exchanges. This layer of archaeological
findings (III-IV B.C.) is covered by a
Roman layer (II – IV A.D.) of pottery and
Church Saint Nicholas was built between 1909-1911 in distinct neo-Byzantine
architecture. It has a typical cross-shaped design with two hemispherical
domes, arcades blending into the domes with tin roofing that flows smoothly
around the arches and a relatively small belltower. The interior is decorated
with mural paintings and a large iconostasis that separates the nave from the
sanctuary. There are no seats or pews as in the West, but high-armed chairs
placed along the walls traditionally called "strana pl.strane".
It was founded by nobleman Miniu Ion and the first parish priest was Radu
Nicolescu. It underwent a foundation reinforcement in 1931, and nave vault
repairs in 1941.
Borcea is located in south-east part of Romania, on the west side of the Borcea
branch, approximately 35 km (37 mi) north of the Bulgarian border and 75 km
west of the Black Sea. Its geographical coordinates are 44 ° 20' north latitude and
27 ° 45' east longitude. Because Borcea is situated on the east side of the vast
Romanian Plain more precisely in the subdivision Bărăgan of Ialomiţa Plain it has
a flat topography with an minimum elevation of 9 m (30 ft)in the flood plain of
the Borcea branch and maximum elevation of 47 m (155 ft) in the northwestern
part of the commune. The arable land administered by the commune extends on
either side of the Borcea branch with most of the farmland on the west side.
Occupying an metro area of 5.35 square kilometres (2 sq miles), its nearest city
Fetești is situated just 5 km north of its location.
According to Köppen climate classification system Borcea
has a humid continental climate typified by large seasonal
temperature differences, with warm to hot summers and
cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. The average
annual temperature is 11.2 °C, in July the average
temperature fluctuates around 23 °C, and in January there
is an average of −3 °C. The lowest temperature recorded in
the area dates from 8 January 1938 when there was −30
°C, and the highest of 41.4 °C on 10 August 10, 1951. The
Borcea commune enjoys a high calorie potential, whose
value reached 125 kcal/cm2.
The commune is governed by a mayor-council system.
In Borcea, the central government is responsible for
public education, libraries, public safety, recreational
facilities, sanitation, water supply and welfare
services. The mayor and councillors are elected to
four-year terms. Decisions are approved and
discussed by the local council (consiliu local) made up
of 14 elected Councillors.