• Electric cars are FUN!
• CLEAN AIR – zero emissions
• Electricity is readily available
• Electricity costs are stable and much lower
• Oil independence (national security)
• Save gas = save money
• Low maintenance
Fun, Fast, Clean & Efficient
Why Electric Cars?
How Electric Cars?
ElectricVehicle Energy Lingo
WHATYOU NEED TO KNOW
• kWh is “how much” energy, similar to liters of gas.
• Kilo Meters per kWh, similar to Kilo Meters per liter.
• kW is “how fast”, similar to liter per minute.
how much energy
is used or stored
how fast energy is
Types of EV
1. Battery Electric Vehicles
fully-electric vehicles with rechargeable batteries and no gasoline engine.
2. Hybrid Electric Vehicle
combines a conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) propulsion system with an
electric propulsion system
3. Solar Power Car
Solar power cars are electric cars which are
powered by sun’s energy
• Aim of the project:
1. Using solar energy to enhance the efficiency of
the car so that we can drive it for a longer time.
2. Sustainable movement by supplying battery with
electric energy while moving through PV
ELECTRONIC & ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS
A solar car composes of the following
• PV solar panels
• Maximum Power Point Trackers (MPPT)
• Battery and Battery Management Systems
• Motor and Electronic Motor Controller
• Solar array voltage (i.e. voltage produced by the solar
array) must be equal to system voltage of the motor for
optimal working of motor. Generally, it is difficult to match
these voltages accurately due to random errors
• MPPTs allow the system to run as efficiently as possible by
sampling the output of the cells and apply the proper
resistance (load) to obtain maximum power for any given
Direct Current Motors.
to provide the power for propulsion
converts electric energy to
mechanical energy (motion) to drive
the electric vehicle.
The batteries store energy from the solar array and make them available for the motor’s
use. Batteries that are commonly used in solar cars are Lead-acid batteries, Li-ion batteries,
Ni-MH batteries, Ni-Cd batteries, Flooded-cell batteries and Gel-cell batteries.
Lead Acid Ni-Cd Battery Li-Ion Battery NiMH battery
•4 * 12 Volt @ 12Ah
•Lead acid deep cycle
• Charging time 6-8 hours
Motor & Controller
• Efficiency of brushless DC motors is 95-98%.
• DC motors are cheaper than AC motors.
• Controller is an electronic device that controls the
amount of power delivered to electric motor
according to the signal from the potentiometer
connected to throttle pedal.
PV specification :
• Supplies the baseline power required to the vehicle, recharges the
we will get 4 PVs each one has the following specification :
4 x 16 = 64 Volt 4 x 10 = 40 Watt
• A Metal roof was designed to carry the PV panels to be in
a fixed horizontal level in order to absorb sun rays during
the whole day
Chassis weight 61 kg
Battery Weight 19 kg
Loading Capacity 1driver
Estimated Range 2 km
Climbing Ability (with loading
Rating Output 1.0 kW
Battery Lead Acid
Battery Specs 48V12Ah
Charging Time (0-100%) Recovered by 7 hours
Tire Size 3.25-6.25
1. we have charged the battery of the car till it become full ,
then we have estimated the distance which the car can be
used using those batteries.
2. we will make iron grid so we can put the PVs on it
3. we will fix it to the car using welding method
4. We will try to completely evacuate the batteries from
5. we will leave the car in the sun so the batteries become
full through using the new charging source " the sun "
6. we will drive the car again so we can get the new distance
which the car can go with the solar panels
7. and then we will compare how the car will be affected
through using the solar energy instead of electric energy
Expected finishing date :
• we recommend to use high capacity motor
next time as the motor become much more
hot every short time and this forced us to
wait more than one time to cool it
• we can make cooling system for the motor
Maximum 3 weeks from this presentation day